Mediaportal 2 client can't find TV server (1 Viewer)

Phil McCavity

Portal Member
July 24, 2013
Home Country
Australia Australia
Hi all

I've been using Mediaportal 1 (currently version 1.19) for a number of years now and am a very happy user. So I tried setting up a Mediaportal 2 machine, wanting to try out MP2 without messing with my working MP1. I've read that it's the same TV server as MP1 so I figured I should be able to connect to the production MP1 server.

Except I can't make it see the TV server and I'm not sure how to reconfigure it. I set it up as a client-only and also did a full installation - both times with no luck. I disabled the firewall and antivirus and checked it's configured as a private network.The same computer has an MP1 client installed and that works fine.

Should I be able to do this, and if so what have I missed? Thanks.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    Should I be able to do this
    Sadly not.
    MP2 runs the TV engine inside the MP2 server where MP1 runs a "stand alone" server for the TV Engine. The main reason why this did not work is the "not very clean" implementation of the MP1 TV plugin. Some data it reads from the server (as it is the only correct way) and some data it reads directly from the database, what is no good programming attempt. MP2 don't allow (for many reasons) direct database access that's why MP1 TV plugin can not use MP2 server as TV server. Once the TVE 3.5 is usable the TV plugin of MP1 needs to be adjusted to always use the server and no more direct access. Then it will be easy to use MP1 client together with MP2 server (as TV source). But this did not work now.

If you want to test MP2 with TV you need to either install the MP2 server on a different machine than the MP1 TV server or stop the TV server of MP1 before!!! installing MP2. Now you can test MP2 and if you want to go back to MP1 stop the MP2 server and restart the MP1 TV server...

Phil McCavity

Portal Member
    July 24, 2013
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Ok thanks - that's good to know. I'm happy to try that if it won't interfere with MP1. I don't have any spare tuner cards for a test machine.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    if it won't interfere
    You need to make sure that only one TV server is running at a time, MP1 TV server or MP2 server. They both want to access the tuner cards exclusively so there is a conflict if both are running. During installation the server part (of MP1 and MP2) will be started automatically. If the server didn't start the installation fails and will be rolled back. That's why you need to disable the MP1 TV server before installing MP2. Both server are installed to start automatically on Windows start, so you need to disable the autostart for one of the services before you do a reboot on this machine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom