MediaPortal 2 development snapshot (2014-12-19) (1 Viewer)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Looks like as if sometimes the local address is used, and sometimes the other one
    The log suggests that the local address is removed, and then re-added approximately 2.5 minutes later... and then removed again approximately 1 minute later. You can't hope to get reliable TVE behaviour if the network state is changing like that.
    To be clear: I'm saying it doesn't seem like the wrong address is chosen. Rather, the available address(es) keep changing.

osre

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 14, 2014
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    My Fritz.Box lists 3 different IPv6 addresses for my client computer, even 4 for the server.
    But I can only set the IPv4 address to a fixed one on the Fritz.Box DHCP server.
    I have checked the Fritz.Box logs, but is looks like it does not log DHCP events.
    Also the Windows event logs have no entries at that time.[DOUBLEPOST=1419594328][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Looks like as if sometimes the local address is used, and sometimes the other one
    The log suggests that the local address is removed, and then re-added approximately 2.5 minutes later... and then removed again approximately 1 minute later. You can't hope to get reliable TVE behaviour if the network state is changing like that.
    To be clear: I'm saying it doesn't seem like the wrong address is chosen. Rather, the available address(es) keep changing.
    I'll switch to fixed IP addresses for the server and client, and see if the problem occurs again.
    Thank you for your help.

osre

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 14, 2014
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I think my Fritz-Box is causing the Problem.
    If I read the settings correctly, it assigns a local IPv6 if no IPv6 Internet connection is used, and an global one if an IPv6 connection is established.
    As written above I'll set a static address to my client and see if it happens again.

osre

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 14, 2014
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Setting an static IPv6 is not as simple as it Looks like.
    Every time I try, Windows wants to restart. After that it's set to DHCP again !?
    Since this stupid behaviour of my Fritz.Box: It might be a good idea to use something else as 'user-id', may be something that is generated on MP2 Client start.
    I know that this sould have to be added as Parameter to each SOAP message, but on the other Hand: Fritz-Boxes are quite commeon, and my Settings sems to be the Default ones. And I know that I'm not the only one that hase the "start timeshifting" issue.[DOUBLEPOST=1419597182][/DOUBLEPOST]
    @osre you can also tie MP2 to a particular IP on machines that have multiple IPs and use IPv4 or IPv6 only
    How do you do that? I can't find an Option in the MP2 Client.
    And if I understand my Problem correctly, binding MP2 to a particular IP would not help, if the IPv6 is really changing.
    But IPv4 would solve that. Should not be an Problem in an local Network.

MrTechno

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 27, 2011
    London
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Unfortunately there's no GUI option to do it. And despite writing the feature myself I can't remember the instructions precisely. Do you have a file called ServerSettings.xml in c:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal

MJGraf

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 13, 2006
    The correct path for the settings on the MP2 Server side should be:
    C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MP2-Server\Config
    on the client side:
    C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MP2-Client\Config
    The name ServerSettings.xml is correct, but the problem is that we don't automatically write that file to disk when we read it for the first time. It's only written when we explicitly write it to disk and that only happens if there is a setting in the GUI that is changed. In my SystemSettings branch I've already changed this behavior so that the settings file is written to disk when it is read the first time and it doesn't exist on disk, yet.
    The easiest way would be if someone has a ServerSetting.xml file, uploads it here and you, osre, can just use that file and adapt the settings as you like (you can just disable IPv6 for MP2 e.g. with that file).

The only thing I'm wondering is whether these MP2 settings have influence on TVE3.5 at all - may well be, but I'm not sure about that...

MrTechno

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 27, 2011
    London
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    It depends how much of the data flow goes via the UPnP connection. If it's just recording and scheduling functions with streaming done direct from client to TVE then SlimTV.Client would need its own code for honouring IP filtering

osre

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 14, 2014
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I temporarily modified the code so the ServerSettings.xml is created (btw. the file Name is "MediaPortal.Common.Services.ResourceAccess.Settings.ServerSettings.xml", because the Type.Fullname is used).
    By this I got a file with Default Settings (as attached).
    I'll disable IPv6 for now and see if the Problem Comes back.
    Thank you all again.[DOUBLEPOST=1419609535][/DOUBLEPOST]By setting UseIPv6 to false, the IPv4 address is used as Name. So this should do the trick.
    But saving the Default Settings files caused some strange side effect: (at least i think taht this is the cause for this.
    The Sound was turned off. So I tried a recorded Video, where I saw, that the "silent" Audio channel was selected. Changing it back to an "normal" adio channel turned Sound on again (also in Live TV).
    But in Live TV Player, the button for Audio channel is missing.

Attachments

• MediaPortal.Common.Services.ResourceAccess.Settings.ServerSettings.xml
      288 bytes
    Last edited:

MJGraf

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 13, 2006
    I temporarily modified the code so the ServerSettings.xml is created
    Perfect, osre! That's how it is currently already done in some parts of the code (i.e. when the setting is loaded, in the next line of code, we just write it to disk). The right solution is imho that when you load a setting and it does not exist on the disk, yet, the SettingsManager should automatically save the file with default settings to disk. That way we can remove the workarounds in the code where we load and manually save...
    But saving the Default Settings files caused some strange side effect: (at least i think taht this is the cause for this.
    It would be very strange if this side effect is caused by the ServerSettings.xml file - maybe if you have done your patch in a way so that all settings files are written to disk (not only ServerSettings.xml) but even in this case, the behavior described would be a bug...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom