MediaPortal and Windows 8 (1 Viewer)

bnsaflsujt

Portal Pro
January 12, 2010
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
So I just downloaded the bits of the Win 8 developer preview, and installed it on my media client. Works great, but MediaPortal won't let me install as it is a "Unknown OS Version" - 6.2.8200 I believe... Is there any way that I can edit this search with out a dl of MediaPortal source and recompile, like in an app.config? I have tried compatibility mode, but your installer sees straight through that! Also, I understand that running it on the Windows 8 platform means no support for bugs, and I wouldn't ask for any unless I could reproduce in Windows 7 - a supported OS! :)

Thanks!

MediaPortal Version: 1.2.0 RC
MediaPortal Skin: StreamedMP
Windows Version: Windows 7 x64
CPU Type: Intel Q9550 @ 3.0 Ghz
HDD: Various at 2.7 TB
Memory: 8GB DDR2-1066
Motherboard: Asus P5E
Video Card: ATi HD-5870
Video Card Driver: Latest
Sound Card: ASUS P5E PCIx1 Add-On card
Sound Card AC3:
Sound Card Driver: Latest
1. TV Card: Hauppage HVR-2250
1. TV Card Type: Dual Hybrid
1. TV Card Driver: Latest
2. TV Card: Asus EHD3-100
2. TV Card Type: Dual Hybrid
2. TV Card Driver: Latest
3. TV Card:
3. TV Card Type:
3. TV Card Driver:
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec:
MPEG2 Audio Codec:
h.264 Video Codec:
Satelite/CableTV Provider:
HTPC Case: Sunbeam Transformer
Cooling: Water all the way!
Power Supply:
Remote: Microsoft MCE Remote
TV:
TV - HTPC Connection:

bnsaflsujt

Portal Pro
January 12, 2010
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
And you both get the award for dashing my hopes at the same time... Well, thanks anyways! I guess I know what I'll be trying to do this weekend.

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Btw. why is the installer so restrictive anyway?

Because of support. Things like server OS etc do not include many features that are required by MP and quite simply MP is not designed to run on them. Yes it can be done but if you can figure out how to get it working, you can figure out how to install MP ;)

Galaphile

Portal Member
    January 10, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Btw. why is the installer so restrictive anyway?

Because of support. Things like server OS etc do not include many features that are required by MP and quite simply MP is not designed to run on them. Yes it can be done but if you can figure out how to get it working, you can figure out how to install MP ;)

Thats not a debatable answer because as stated on the site:
    https://www.team-mediaportal.com/mediaportal/requirements said:
    MP will issue a warning, but will install on:
    •All Beta versions of OS
    •Windows Server 2003 and 2008 (Microsoft does not release essential tv-card-hotfixes)
    •All beta/release candidate service packs

Then the question will rise if one could consider Windows 8 an Beta OS. I think not because MS calls it a preview (Pre-Beta) :). and MP wil not support it until its released but it would be nice if the check would be rewritten ;)

And the again, just installed MP1.1.3 on the Dev preview Windows 8 x64 without a glitch
    (build 8102.winmain_win8m3.110830)

Spooky

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 14, 2005
    void 4tl
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Yes, but why restrict it completely? A warning (just like when you are trying to install 1.1.2 on Win7 SP1) would be enough.

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Yes, but why restrict it completely? A warning (just like when you are trying to install 1.1.2 on Win7 SP1) would be enough.

Because the code (Common-MP-TVE3\OsInfo\OsInfo.cs) knows about things like Win7 and Win 2008 but does not know about Windows 8.

Any known but unsupported OS get a warning but anything unknown gets blocked.

Windows 8 will get added here at some point but will not be part of an 1.2

Spooky

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 14, 2005
    void 4tl
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Yes I know, but my question was why restrict it completely in the first place? Why not issue a warning as well with an unknown OS?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom