MediaPortal as a shell - is it worth it? (1 Viewer)

Sohail Juna

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 8, 2012
    United Kingdom
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi all,

Getting my MP installation tweaked to perfection (I do love MP)

I was wondering if anyone here is booting into MP as their shell, bypassing the need for explorer.

It sounds interesting from a cosmetic perspective, but is getting this working more trouble than its worth?

For example, I have to use Task Scheduler to delay MP startup by 15 seconds in order to avoid D3D errors.

Any thoughts?

Scythe42

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2009
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    If you run dedicated a shell is a viable option.

Last edited:

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Scythe said: "If your HTPC is just for Mediaportal only and nothing else, then it would work."

I imagine that it is not worth the hassle, whenever you want to upgrade change something etc, it's often useful to be able to use say internet explorer, or copy some files etc etc... I'm always find myself using my HTPC for non MePo things. Maybe quickly checking my gmail, because the lounge is warmer than the computer room, etc..

Your HTPC should use S3 Sleep or hibernate so if you only use delay on booting then it shouldn't matter. Once mediaportal has loaded there is no cosmetic difference :p your HTPC has plenty of grunt, I bet it doesn't even notice it is running windows stuff in the background.

Last edited:

RicoHTPC

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 4, 2011
    Cuxhaven
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I have always had the same idea but as kiwijunglist said you will have more trouble than benefits. You only have to think about
    updating your system or using the standard mp configuration program.
    So my compromise is to have a clean desktop, a hidden taskbar and the mp splashscreen as windows background.
    The only thing I have to solve now is letting the mouse pointer disappear but I already found a program which will
    move the pointer to the lower right corner.
    This will still allow you the full use of your system while giving a kiosk mode look.

Last edited:

DoXer

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 14, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    So my compromise is to have a clean desktop, a hidden taskbar and the mp splashscreen as windows background.
    The only thing I have to solve now is letting the mouse pointer disappear but I already found a program which will
    move the pointer to the lower right corner.
    This will still allow you the full use of your system while giving a kiosk mode look.
    Which tool is it?

Toddi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 29, 2008
    Kiel
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Maybe my solution is interesting for you. I have written an autoit script, which is running as shell, if you want. It has hotkey support to switch between explorer and itself as shell. It disables mousepointer if the script is shell and you can enable/disable mousepointer with hotkeys. It starts all necessary programs one after the other with configurable delays. For me its running very stable since a few years.

It has some requirements to work:
    - UAC has to be turned off (for shell exchange)
    - you have to import the included reg-file (it enables automatic relogon after logoff; necessary for shell exchange)
    - automatic logon (if your useraccount is passwordprotected, autologon from sysinternals helps)
    - useraccount must be an administrator
    - put all included files in one folder

All options are set in ini-file, so here is a good starting point. I have included a few explanations.
    Put a link to exe (MPservice.exe for 32bit and MPService64.exe for 64bit operating system) into autostart folder.

Fell free to ask if you have any questions.

Attachments

• MPService.zip
      966.8 KB

DoXer

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 14, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,
    thank you. Possible to get the source?
    Greetings to the north of Germany from the middle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom