MediaPortal (Client) frozen before/after wake from Hibernate (1 Viewer)

ultimatejoe

Portal Member
October 14, 2007
Home Country
Canada Canada
I've been having this problem as long as I can remember, but this is the first time I've solved all of my other hardware/software issues so I've never reported it until now. Sometimes when MediaPortal wakes from Hibernate the screen will be frozen, and notably the clock will be stuck at the time of the hibernation. The resume completes and the system is usually recording without issue, but I have to ALT-TAB or use the WIN key to get to the desktop and force-close the application. The only hint I can find is in my error-log files. I get the usual assortment of XML or database errors, but when this happens (maybe 1 in 4 resumes) there is always the following line:

[2016-11-14 15:07:20,647] [Error ] [MPMain ] [ERROR] - Utils: GetUsbHardDisks Error: The application called an interface that was marshalled for a different thread.

Also worth noting, this only seems to happen on a system wake (e.g. for a recording), never happens when I use the power-on button or WOL. In the attached log files the system went to Hibernate at 15:07, and resumed at 19:57 for a recording.

Please let me know if any further information is required. I've been experiencing this error on and off for at least the past few years.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello

Sometimes when MediaPortal wakes from Hibernate the screen will be frozen, and notably the clock will be stuck at the time of the hibernation. The resume completes and the system is usually recording without issue, but I have to ALT-TAB or use the WIN key to get to the desktop and force-close the application.
    The screen appears to be frozen because MP has not activated the user interface. The log file (thanks for that (y) ) shows that MP has not activated the user interface because Windows has not notified MP that you are there and actively using the system. In other words, MP is intentionally operating as if nobody were there. When nobody is present, there's no need to activate the user interface. It's a power saving mechanism. Behind the scenes, MP itself is not frozen at all. It's just waiting on a notification from Windows that:
    • somebody is using the system (implying that the user interface needs to be activated), OR...
    • the condition(s) that caused the system to wake in unattended mode (eg. a scheduled recording) have passed/completed/whatever (implying that the system will suspend again)
    In your case Windows doesn't directly notify MP of either of these conditions.

The only hint I can find is in my error-log files.
    Well done for looking in the log file. (y)
    In this case the entry you've identified is irrelevant to the problem at hand.

Also worth noting, this only seems to happen on a system wake (e.g. for a recording), never happens when I use the power-on button or WOL.
    Yes, that's relevant. The critical difference is that the "system wake" is unattended (ie. nobody present to use the system). As you've seen MP/TV Server wake for recording without issue. The only piece of the puzzle that's missing is a notification from Windows when you come along later and decide you want to use the system.

In the attached log files the system went to Hibernate at 15:07, and resumed at 19:57 for a recording.
    Yes I see that.
    ...and it looks like you come along and try to use the system at 21:09, right?

Please let me know if any further information is required. I've been experiencing this error on and off for at least the past few years.
    No further information is required. Update to MP 1.15 and you'll find that the problem is already solved.

Background info if you're interested:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/mediaportal-hangs-on-resume-from-s3.131355/
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/media-portal-freezes-on-wake.132588/

ultimatejoe

Portal Member
    October 14, 2007
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Hey, thanks for the detailed response and recommendation. It's always good to know the background, not just the fix.

I don't suppose there's any way to solve for this with 1.13? Mediaportal is almost entirely stable for me for the first since I started using it 8.5 years ago, and I'd hate to do a new version and upset that.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I don't suppose there's any way to solve for this with 1.13?
    No, not unless you compile a patch for yourself.

Mediaportal is almost entirely stable for me for the first since I started using it 8.5 years ago, and I'd hate to do a new version and upset that.
    I understand your perspective, but I'd still recommend you upgrade. There are no radical wholesale changes between 1.13 and 1.15 that would make me uncomfortable about recommending the upgrade. 1.16 PR will be a different matter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom