Mediaportal Configuration crashing...I didn't change anything :-(

Discussion in 'General Support' started by nzdreamer55, October 19, 2015.

1. nzdreamer55
    • Premium Supporter

nzdreamer55 MP Donator

Veterinarian
    Ratings:
    +28 / 0
    Home Country:
    United States of America United States of America
    Show System Specs
    So I have had MP 1.12 running smoothly for 2-3 months and just this morning when I was opening the config it crashed launching the configuration area. I have attached logs for someone to please help me pinpoint the problem.

Thanks

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. mm1352000
    • Team MediaPortal

mm1352000 Development Group

Ratings:
    +8,220 / 17
    Home Country:
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello

The Windows application event log says:
    Show Spoiler

"10/19/2015 8:49:05 AM";".NET Runtime";"(0)";"Error";"Application: Configuration.exe
    Framework Version: v4.0.30319
    Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
    Exception Info: System.ObjectDisposedException
    Stack:
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateHandle()
    at System.Windows.Forms.Form.CreateHandle()
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.get_Handle()
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.get_WindowText()
    at System.Windows.Forms.Form.get_WindowText()
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.get_Text()
    at System.Windows.Forms.Form.get_Text()
    at System.Windows.Forms.ThreadExceptionDialog..ctor(System.Exception)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Application+ThreadContext.OnThreadException(System.Exception)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProcException(System.Exception)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control+ControlNativeWindow.OnThreadException(System.Exception)
    at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr)
    at System.Windows.Forms.SafeNativeMethods.ShowWindow(System.Runtime.InteropServices.HandleRef, Int32)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.SetVisibleCore(Boolean)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Form.SetVisibleCore(Boolean)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.set_Visible(Boolean)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Application+ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32, System.Windows.Forms.ApplicationContext)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Application+ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32, System.Windows.Forms.ApplicationContext)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Application.Run(System.Windows.Forms.Form)
    at MediaPortal.Configuration.Startup.Start()
    at MediaPortal.Configuration.Startup.Main(System.String[])
    ";"1026"
    "10/19/2015 8:49:05 AM";"Application Error";"Application Crashing Events";"Error";"Faulting application name: Configuration.exe, version: 1.12.0.0, time stamp: 0x55885122 Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.3.9600.18007, time stamp: 0x55c4bcfc Exception code: 0xe0434352 Fault offset: 0x00015b68 Faulting process id: 0x116c Faulting application start time: 0x01d10a85ad5d830d Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\Configuration.exe Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\KERNELBASE.dll Report Id: ecf51b35-7678-11e5-bed6-acfdce5dce87 Faulting package full name: Faulting package-relative application ID: ";"1000"
    "10/19/2015 8:49:09 AM";"Windows Error Reporting";"(0)";"Information";"Fault bucket , type 0 Event Name: CLR20r3 Response: Not available Cab Id: 0 Problem signature: P1: Configuration.exe P2: 1.12.0.0 P3: 55885122 P4: System.Windows.Forms P5: 4.0.30319.34250 P6: 54d46da6 P7: 79b P8: 23 P9: System.ObjectDisposedException P10: Attached files: C:\Users\Kira\AppData\Local\Temp\WERCCF7.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml These files may be available here: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_Configuration.ex_a7f0cc84684abfcb9a0b0e39a696473cd753d51_3a408fdd_079fda55 Analysis symbol: Rechecking for solution: 0 Report Id: ecf51b35-7678-11e5-bed6-acfdce5dce87 Report Status: 97 Hashed bucket: ";"1001"
    "10/19/2015 8:49:09 AM";"Application Error";"Application Crashing Events";"Error";"Faulting application name: Configuration.exe, version: 1.12.0.0, time stamp: 0x55885122 Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.3.9600.18007, time stamp: 0x55c4bcfc Exception code: 0xc000041d Fault offset: 0x00015b68 Faulting process id: 0x116c Faulting application start time: 0x01d10a85ad5d830d Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\Configuration.exe Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\KERNELBASE.dll Report Id: ef19e4be-7678-11e5-bed6-acfdce5dce87 Faulting package full name: Faulting package-relative application ID: ";"1000"
    "10/19/2015 8:49:10 AM";"Windows Error Reporting";"(0)";"Information";"Fault bucket , type 0 Event Name: APPCRASH Response: Not available Cab Id: 0 Problem signature: P1: Configuration.exe P2: 1.12.0.0 P3: 55885122 P4: KERNELBASE.dll P5: 6.3.9600.18007 P6: 55c4bcfc P7: c000041d P8: 00015b68 P9: P10: Attached files: C:\Users\Kira\AppData\Local\Temp\WERDAC3.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml These files may be available here: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_Configuration.ex_a4729d297e19b59e7a39aac9a6428aaf162cbd5_3a408fdd_0c0bdeca Analysis symbol: Rechecking for solution: 0 Report Id: ef19e4be-7678-11e5-bed6-acfdce5dce87 Report Status: 97 Hashed bucket: ";"1001"

That's totally incomprehensible to me. Makes no sense.

I can see that you've been able to successfully open configuration since then, so... I don't know.

4. nzdreamer55
    • Premium Supporter

nzdreamer55 MP Donator

Veterinarian
    Ratings:
    +28 / 0
    Home Country:
    Show System Specs
    No I have not been able to open configuration since posting. I can still use media portal but when I try to open configuration it crashes. Well if the logs don't help, maybe I should try uninstalling MePo and reinstalling? What do you think?

5. mm1352000
    • Team MediaPortal

Ratings:
    +8,220 / 17
    Home Country:
    New Zealand New Zealand
    That's really odd, because the log files seem quite clear.
    I don't see any problems prior to 19 Oct. On the morning of 19 Oct I see you attempt to open configuration 3 times. The first 2 times - within 20 seconds at 8:49 AM - appear to be crashes where the last line in the log file is:
    [2015-10-19 08:49:17,830] [Config ] [Config Main] [INFO ] - LoadSectionSettings() - Music DSP

However the 3rd attempt at 8:52 AM appears to be completely successful.

I wonder if you've got "zombie" versions of configuration running.
    Maybe try simply rebooting the PC?
    Alternatively, try deleting c:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\musicdsp.xml.

6. nzdreamer55
    • Premium Supporter

nzdreamer55 MP Donator

Veterinarian
    Ratings:
    +28 / 0
    Home Country:
    Show System Specs
    OMG I could have zombies! I knew that my wife was watching way too much of The Walking Dead. :)

I'll give those suggestions a try. I have restarted it and still have the problem. I'll post back soon with the results.

Thanks for the second look.

7. nzdreamer55
    • Premium Supporter

nzdreamer55 MP Donator

Veterinarian
    Ratings:
    +28 / 0
    Home Country:
    Show System Specs
    OK so I opened that file and I changed the setting for the DSP from -25 to -16. This worked and now the config opens with out an error. Could this be a bug in that it allows the user to input values that are not valid? The problem that I was trying to correct is that my TV shows and movies are much softer than my music so when I switch between them I am always turning the volume up or down. Maybe there is another way to do this?

Again thanks for the help.

8. mm1352000
    • Team MediaPortal

Ratings:
    +8,220 / 17
    Home Country:
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Great. :)

I very much doubt it, but I don't know for sure. In the past that config file has been prone to corruption which has caused MP and/or configuration to fail to open and/or crash. That's why I suggested deleting it.

I fiddled with the settings on my own machine and I can set -25 dB without any problem. If you set the value back to -25 dB does config start to crash again?

First, let me declare that I've never mucked around with these settings before, and I don't use MediaPortal for music. However, in a past life I have done a little bit of audio engineering. On that basis I wouldn't have thought the compressor would help much (if at all) unless the music was peaking over 0 dB, which seems unlikely for properly mastered commercially produced music. Popular/radio music is already highly compressed these days. Applying negative dynamic amplification seems more likely to be helpful.

Pass. No idea.
    I would have thought TV levels would have been comparable. Are you playing/comparing 5.1 channel TV content played through a stereo speaker system without down-mixing to native stereo (2 channel) music? If so, that would explain the gain difference... and the solution would be to down-mix the TV content, not mess with the music gain.

You're welcome. :)
    In case there's a next time, it would probably help to have mentioned you had been tweaking the DSP settings. Problems don't start without reason. Usually it's a new element or a change in an existing element that triggers the problem to start. Anyhow, all's well that ends well.

9. nzdreamer55
    • Premium Supporter

nzdreamer55 MP Donator

Veterinarian
    Ratings:
    +28 / 0
    Home Country:
    Show System Specs
    So just a follow up. Under the music settings there is an output box. It is set at 100. I though that this was a percentage, but when ever I changed it nothing seemed to happen. I changed it to 0 and then there was no music. I increased it to 50 and it was too loud. Tried 1 and it was too soft. Up to 10 and a bit too loud. Finally landed on 5 and this is a volume that matches my movies and TV series. Maybe it is a log output and not a linear output? Well it works now. Thanks

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!