"MediaPortal crashed unexpectedly" evrey time I close (1 Viewer)

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Is Mediaportal running on a admin account, user accounts have problems, as not got the correct permissions needed.

chemelli

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 28, 2006
    Milano, Italy
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Hi zukkster,

please disable UAC on your Vista box or start MediaPortal.exe as Administrator.

Simone

EDIT: beated by PD :p

zukkster

Portal Member
    March 2, 2009
    Ahhh.

I was looking for MediaPortal options not Vista ones. I'm only moderately techie and new to Vista in the last month or so ...

I opted for the option of running MediaPortal as admin, because I have young kids and at some point in the not to distant future I'll setup Parental control using the user accounts, so didn't want to switch them off completely.

In the interest of other users who might use this thrad for reference. Here's a link to instructions as to how to

1)Disable user accounts
    Disable User Account Control in Windows Vista

2)Run as MediaPortal as admin
    Always Start an Application in Administrator Mode on Windows Vista :: the How-To Geek

Is there somewhere that I've missed where there's a list of general setup tips and tricks on the website? If not, I'm making a note of all of these setup things, with links and instructions because so far I've had a few tweaks I've needed to make, and when I'm a month or so into using MediaPortal and think I've got it runnign smoothly I'll post them as a reference. Even with the setup tweaks, this software beats Media Centre hands down.

Can't see how to do thanks

zukkster

Portal Member
    March 2, 2009
    Yeah that's pretty nice, but ...

Cool I'll have a look.

Another question about closing MediaPortal. Is there a feature which means the application will close if you switch off the monitor?

I run two screens off my PC, using some software called Ultramon - a monitor and a plasma screen. When I switch off the Plasma (which is the secondary scrren and where MediaPortal opens) it sends the application to the primary monitor, over the top of everthing. Generally when I'm switching off the TV, I'm done with MediaPortal so I'd like to automatically close the app. I'm looking into Ultramon scripting as an option, but if you know of a way...

amp88

February 22, 2009
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    Hi zukkster,

please disable UAC on your Vista box or start MediaPortal.exe as Administrator.

Simone

EDIT: beated by PD :p

What is the solution on a Windows XP box? Is there a way to automate the "Run As..." then supplying admin login details?

RobNorthcott

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 9, 2007
    Dartmoor, England
    Home Country
    Mine gives that error quite often (but not always) if I close it with the mouse (i.e. click on the close icon in MP). If I close it with the button on the remote ("TV power" or something, top left on MS remote) it doesn't give the error.

My system is XP SP3, always logged on as an administrator user. Does MP have to run as THE administrator account rather than just AN administrator?

It doesn't really bother me as it's on a dedicated machine so I only really close MP if I want to fiddle with settings, but just saw this thread and got interested...

Rob

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    XP should not make any difference between admin account and the full admin account for day to day and MP use.

Vista on the other hand, I hated running it under anything but the full administrator account, there was always some permission thing that did not work correctly :confused: and forget having UAC enabled :mad:

But for a htpc user, really none of these security things are necessary any how.

amp88

February 22, 2009
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    XP should not make any difference between admin account and the full admin account for day to day and MP use.

But for a htpc user, really none of these security things are necessary any how.

With XP Home MediaPortal crashes every time I close it unless I run it with Admin credentials. The box isn't just used as an HTPC, my parents use it as their PC. They are not to be trusted to run with an Admin account! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom