MediaPortal crashes non-stop, live or recorded TV not working (1 Viewer)

mores369

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 4, 2012
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Here's the basic history. MP 1.2.3 was working on my system perfectly for a good 6 months. Then I upgraded my receiver to a Denon 1913 and my video card to an GeForce GT 610 to get 7.1 surround sound. Ever since then, MP has crashed, non stop, and tv viewing/recording has basically stopped working. I'm travelling in Japan for a few weeks, and my wife is pulling her hair out without TV. In an effort to help, I installed 1.3 RC, but that is not working any better. She says the screen blanks out, then crashes, becomes non-responsive, just about everything.

In scanning the error logs (not really knowing what I'm looking at/for), I saw that the file tvserver_TsWriter-2013-02-20 complained non stop about timeshiftbuffer. Is that what's crashing MP? Is it a codec thing?

Help! (and thanks!)

hafblade

Portal Pro
    January 19, 2011
    Trier, Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I've no time at the moment to look into your logs but TS Writer is the module which writes the data to your hard disc drive. This has nothing to do with codecs. The data from your receiver is written directly to your hdd as far as I know.
    Do you have some new firewall or something like this installed which checks the written data?
    Perhaps try another hdd to write your recording and timeshift to. It might help.

These are only some ideas. Perhaps it doesn't help but it is worth a try :)

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I'm guessing that the root cause of the crashes is related to the new video card.

Is it passively cooled - if so could it be overheating ?

Could the system be having power problems after adding the new card ?

Did any cables get disturbed when you installed it ?

mores369

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 4, 2012
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Thanks for the suggestions. I changed the folder where the TS writer is saving (on a different HDD), but unless there was a crazy Windows Update or something, nothing permissions-wise has changed.

The video card is passively cooled - I have a 500W power supply, and nothing else is pointing to that problem, which is odd. It's something I can check out.
    I'm going to try another clean install.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom