Mediaportal = DLNA server ? (1 Viewer)

rami_rezi

August 20, 2012
Home Country
France France
I don't see any server "mediaportal" on my DLNA devices after installation.
I have previously installed Nero MediaHome, and I see it on my DLNA devices (adsl box, bluray reader, plasma TV...) and I can read music and video with it...
but no network access via "mediaportal"...

Is mediaportal a media server as nero mediahome, or tversity, or pS3 media server ?
how can I see it on my other devices ?

Last edited:

TiboTv

Portal Pro
June 22, 2009
Home Country
Belgium Belgium
You can't! MediaPortal 1 is not a UPNP/DLNA server yet!

You have to give a Try to MediaPortal 2 if you want an UPNP/DLNA server now. Pay attention that MP2 is still in development! https://www.team-mediaportal.com/news/the-summer-is-getting-hot-mp2-summer-release-is-there

MediaPortal has only a plugin call : UPNP renderer (https://www.team-mediaportal.com/extensions/mp-upnp-renderer?lang=en) which allow you to send media to MP with a UNPN/DLNA Server and Control point (eg : with your smartphone or WindowsMediaPlayer)

For your information : XBMC is already a UPNP/DLNA server and client. If you don't need the TV part of MP, you can give a try to XMBC and wait for the future outstanding MediaPortal 2!

Last edited:

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Yeah i wish someone would make a server program that would scan moving pictures / my tv recordings / my tv series database, and serve up the files via DLNA/uPNP.

erichzann

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 25, 2011
    Oxford
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I've used both PS3 mediaserver on Ubuntu (and still use this today) and also Plex media server on a windows box for UPNP/DLNA and they both work great.

Why not just install Plex media server on the same machine watching the movie, tv show and music folders etc so that you get all the nice metadata served up as well?

rami_rezi

August 20, 2012
    Home Country
    France France
    Yes,Good idea. I have just installed XMBC yesterday evening, it's great to see the 1080p movies with a very good hardware acceleration with my old AMD 64 3000+/9600GT instead of Mediaportal :)
    but for the moment, I have juste the line "XMBC server" on my TV, without the movies behind. So I must search anymore how to configurate this soft.
    no matter to discuss of that here. it is irrelevant.
    I will try Plex, I didn't know it... and perhaps reinstall mediaportal after ;)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom