Mediaportal.exe becomes configuration.exe (1 Viewer)

nodeity

Portal Member
December 11, 2012
Home Country
Australia Australia
Ok, I've looked at all the similar posts, but none match this issue that I can find.
I had Mediaportal 1.2.3 working fine except that I couldn't get .iso files to play. Tried all different setups including using Daemontools and VirtualCloneDrive. Anyway I decided to see what the beta of the next version of Mediaportal would do, only to have it crash and crack the sh*ts. So I uninstalled MP and reinstalled with 1.2.3 and now Mediaportal.exe opens the configuration program even though the configuration.exe still works as normal. I do have another file called configuration.exe.config though, and I don't know if that's supposed to be there but I did try to change it to a regular .exe without the config and it worked like the regular configuration.exe so I changed it back.
Ok, I've uninstalled with Revo Unistaller downloaded a fresh copy of MediaPlayer 1.2.3 and reinstalled, same problem. I uninstalled again and reinstalled into a different directory, no go. I've scraped the registry for Mediaportal entries and tried again, same problem. Needless to say, now I'm quite frustrated. Short of doing a refresh of Windows 8 PRO and reinstalling from scratch, I don't know what else to do.
Running W8 Pro - Hauppauge HVR-2210 TV Card - Core i7 CPU - 16Gb Ram - ATI Radeon HD 7970
Any help would be appreciated.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello

Anyway I decided to see what the beta of the next version of Mediaportal would do, only to have it crash and crack the sh*ts.
    Would help if you would provide log files for us. :)

So I uninstalled MP and reinstalled with 1.2.3 and now Mediaportal.exe opens the configuration program even though the configuration.exe still works as normal.
    This is absolutely normal.
    On first start of MP you will always see configuration start. This is done in order to create your MediaPortal.xml configuration file and so that you can do critical basic setup (like selecting codecs, chosing folders). Once you click "OK" configuration should close and create + save MediaPortal.xml. After that you can open MP as normal.

mm

nodeity

Portal Member
    December 11, 2012
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hello

Anyway I decided to see what the beta of the next version of Mediaportal would do, only to have it crash and crack the sh*ts.
    Would help if you would provide log files for us. :)

So I uninstalled MP and reinstalled with 1.2.3 and now Mediaportal.exe opens the configuration program even though the configuration.exe still works as normal.
    This is absolutely normal.
    On first start of MP you will always see configuration start. This is done in order to create your MediaPortal.xml configuration file and so that you can do critical basic setup (like selecting codecs, chosing folders). Once you click "OK" configuration should close and create + save MediaPortal.xml. After that you can open MP as normal.

mm
    Yerr... :whistle: I do feel rather a twit now, don't I...
    I remember now, I started the config first so I never saw this last time. Ahh well I'll know better next time.
    Now if I could just get that Virtual drive to play ball... Thanks for the help. Nice to see speedy responses nowadays. (y)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Yerr... :whistle: I do feel rather a twit now, don't I...
    I remember now, I started the config first so I never saw this last time. Ahh well I'll know better next time.
    Don't sweat it! :)

Now if I could just get that Virtual drive to play ball...
    If you are going to give that another crack then it would be great if you could provide log files so we can try to help:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_MEDIAPORTAL_1/16_Support/3_Forums/2_Log_Files

The watchdog tool makes it really easy.
    Just start MP with the watchdog, attempt to play an ISO... after it fails close MP and post the zip file from the watchdog here.
    It really couldn't get much easier. :)

Thanks for the help. Nice to see speedy responses nowadays. (y)
    Cheers - we try to keep improving.

edward1001

January 8, 2019
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I had this problem also on a fresh install (of MediaPortalSetup_1.20_Final.zip), and not for the first time (I installed/uninstalled it lots of times over the years).
    And it was not till I read this and clicked OK instead of [X] at the top left that it then opened the MediaPortal.exe.

I think you should make [X] either do the same as OK (on first open) or at least warn the user that they are not going to be able to open the thing that they think they are opening (MediaPortal.exe) untill they click ok.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom