Operating System MediaPortal.exe.config side-by-side config error SOLVED (1 Viewer)

Stefan Bol

Portal Member
September 21, 2012
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Hi all,

just want to share this with you 'cause I know a lot of people have this problem. (I had this problem too, untill a week ago)

PROBLEM:
MediaPortal will not start anymore and crashes into a windows configuration side-by-side error. The mediaportal.exe.config file gets corrupted (most likely empty) after a hybernation of the HTPC and a wake-up.
This happens a lot with people using a SSD in the HTPC, but on regular HDD's it will happen too.

MAIN SOLUTION:
Quite easy: Turn off "write cache" for your diskstation in device manager. (Right click My Computer - Properties - Device manager - Diskstation - Advanced options - Uncheck checkbox "Use wirte cache").
I believe this option is on by default in Windows 7.
Windows gets hybernating prior to saving the write cache (which holds the changed .exe.config) file and the data will be lost/file gets corrupted. (seems to me it's a Windows bug)

GOOD TO KNOW
In Windows 7 you have a "revert to version" option (don't know exactly the English term) (Dutch: "Vorige versies terugzetten"). Right click on the Mediaportal.exe.config file and select this option from the drop-down menu. This is a gooed workaround to get Mediaportal running again!

I hope this helps you all out there who are experiencing this config side-by-side error problem. It took me almost half a year pinpointing this...

Greetings to you all and enjoy MP!

Last edited:

Stefan Bol

Portal Member
September 21, 2012
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
It's a Windows system error which occurs when the .exe.config file of an exe file gets corrupted. Just Google for it. It's a very annoying bug in Windows and many people have this error. (Not particular MediaPortal ;) ).

Example over here @Microsoft
One of the reports @Forum

For me, disabling the write cache made my system stable again...

The last few weeks I had this error 2 or 3 times a week. And I needed to restore a Ghost backup everytime (because I didn't know of the "revert to version" option in Win7...

Stefan Bol

Portal Member
September 21, 2012
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Hmmmm, doesn't seem to do the trick ?! Last week I got the same error again... Seems this error occurs more often when shutting down (powerscheduler) after I have watched television on my remote client...
I'll keep in touch!

FreakyJ

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 25, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    or just take the content from the setup.exe.config (the configuration tool of mp, son't know the exact exe name^^) and copy it to the mediaportal.exe.config :)

Stefan Bol

Portal Member
    September 21, 2012
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Sounds good, but how to get it from the exe? (ie how to extract the file from the setup.exe)

FreakyJ

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 25, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    easy:
    open Configuration.exe.config with the notepad press strg+a (selects all) & press strg+c (copy)
    create a file or open the existing file named MediaPortal.exe.config delete all text in there and press strg+v (paste) and save it.
    You should be fine now again :)

Stefan Bol

Portal Member
    September 21, 2012
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    aaah, the configuration.exe.config :rolleyes: I misunderstood, thought you meant the setup.exe...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom