MediaPortal "Extender" Computer? (1 Viewer)

LinkDJ

Portal Member
December 4, 2008
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Sorry for the delay! I forgot I only get one email no matter how many people post after me. Let's see...

Just to clarify was this the trace from the client or the server?
If it is client then it looks like it was waiting for the server to respond.

This is from the client.

So, there may not be anything wrong with your mediaportal installation after all! You can try to have your bedroom HTPC look at a subset of your 4000+ tv series, my guess is that you won't have the delay. I use a file server for my HTPC as well and I too see a small delay after going to MP tv series from the main menu. I also see the hangup when the server is offline. It would be nice if MP caught these kind of server induced delays and provided a notification to the user.

That's a good point, I only started noticing this problem when I added all of the episodes on the second HTPC. I could reduce them, but the point is to be able to watch anything in either room, so ultimately this would only be a troubleshooting step and not a solution, but I will try it.

I think I know this problem very well...............are all of your tv or media in the same folder ? i expect they are .......try splitting some into their own seperate folders and compare............voila.

Each TV show is separated into its own folder. There is also a separate folder for new shows that have not been properly renamed and filed yet, as well as separate folders for movies, miniseries, and web video. I also archive older shows that I wouldn't miss too much if lost, those are on an external hard drive that is also shared onto the network through the main HTPC.

I have a delay of a few seconds when opening my movie folder of merely 60 movies.
I assume it is because it is downloading the cover art for some of the movies.
4000 files in one folder is a problem.
To add to the other posts; I recall Windows FAT32 likes folders (aka directories) with less than 256 files in them for optimum performance.

Both machines are running NTFS, and I don't think I have too many shows that have more than 256 episodes in their respective folders, although now that I think about it, I do have 275 files in my folder for The Simpsons.

LinkDJ

Portal Member
December 4, 2008
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Alright, I figured it out! As soon as I got rid of my video share that is located on an external USB 2.0 hard drive, all the slowness issues went away and I can immediately browse videos. So I'll have to do without my archived video until I can get a RAID installed in my second HTPC =)

Thanks everyone for all your help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom