MediaPortal Extension Installer missing on stand alone TV server 1.2.3 (1 Viewer)

ofh

Portal Member
April 14, 2006
Hi
Try to find my "MediaPortal Extension Installer" on my win7 "stand alone TV server"
But it is not in the normal "Team mediaportal program group" in the start section.
Have looked in the programms folders (hidden + un-hidden), but no luck.
Is it possible to after/re install without to brake the hole system/server ????

BR
OFH

hairlesshobo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 18, 2012
    Jacksonville, FL
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I would recommend that you backup the C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal folder and MySQL database, uninstall MediaPortal, re-install it, and then restore from your backup. This will preserve all of your settings, channels, etc but will reinstall all application files. One thing that might help ease this process is to backup everything using the BackupSettings plugin. I use this whenever I am messing around with my installation and don't want to risk losing anything. It will backup ALL settings for the TV server and user settings in the click of a button, and it is just as easy to restore with the same method. You might not be able to use the BackupSettings plugin, however, if the MPEI is completely missing since the plugin is installed from an mpe1 file.

Good luck!

-Steve

Fabrix67

Portal Member
    February 15, 2010
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    I already noticed it last year: in a server side installation, the extension installer is not installed: at the beginning I thought this could be a bug of installer, because I didn't believe it was by design. But now, i think it's just a design fault.
    Ciao
    Fabrizio

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi,

This is intentional, although maybe not ideal.

If you want MPEI, you have to install MediaPortal. Is there any reason why you can't do this? Even if you only want to use the computer as a TV server, I can't see much harm in having the MediaPortal application on there.

Mark

Fabrix67

Portal Member
    February 15, 2010
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Hi elliottmc,

I disagree, there are some server plugin you would install, for example PowerScheduler++, and you need mpei installer of course. But if you have a client/server installation, with only tvserver on server side, how can you install any plugin without mpei? Why should I install Mediaportal client on the server?
    Ciao
    Fabrizio.

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    Why should I install Mediaportal client on the server?

Well, the other way to look at it is 'why not?'.

The bottom line is that this is how it was designed. Sure it isn't perfect. Perhaps when the installers get overhauled for 1.3.0, this can be sorted.

In the meantime, if anyone wants to provide a patch, they are welcome to do so.

ofh

Portal Member
    April 14, 2006
    Thanks all for the reply and discusion about this.
    So to make everything clear:
    If I install the MP client on my TV standalone server, I will be able to install i.e. PowerScheduler++ plugin for my server ?????
    BR
    OFH

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    Thanks all for the reply and discusion about this.
    So to make everything clear:
    If I install the MP client on my TV standalone server, I will be able to install i.e. PowerScheduler++ plugin for my server ?????
    BR
    OFH

Yes.

Zorg

Portal Pro
    June 12, 2008
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    Hi,
    Is this issue changed one year later?
    Do I have to install MP client in the PC I have the server, just to install the Power Scheduller++?

Thank you in advance

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom