"MediaPortal has stopped working" error after adding Ram Drive for Timeshifting (1 Viewer)

Johncmug

Portal Member
November 23, 2015
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
A couple times a week I have been waking up to MediaPortal crashing with the Windows error "MediaPortal has stopped working". I've attached a screen shot of the general error. This all started after I added a Ram Drive and configured Timeshifting to use this Ram Drive. That could be a red herring but that's when I remember it starting. Also attached are the log files. I am running 1.18.0 pre release.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Attachments

• GenericError.jpg
    GenericError.jpg
    31.6 KB

Johncmug

Portal Member
November 23, 2015
Home Country
Thanks for the reply! I rarely watch tv live so I am sure Live TV isn't being left on at night time.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Ahhh, sorry - my mistake.
    I should have asked: did you leave the recording "The Voice - 2017-10-17 - The Battles Premiere, Part 2" playing?

Johncmug

Portal Member
    November 23, 2015
    Home Country
    That's a possibility! I think I fell asleep watching that... its only an hour long though. It would have played and stopped... right? That is the last thing I would have done for sure.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Well that's the thing: the log ends with that recording still playing!
    ...so it's like the crash is happening while MP is still playing it.

Let's say you fell asleep watching it. Did you simply fall asleep, or did you turn the TV/monitor off without bothering to stop the recording playback before doing so?

Johncmug

Portal Member
    November 23, 2015
    Home Country
    I fell asleep watching it... waking up a couple hours later. And the Error was not on the screen when I went to bed. I've been looking for it so I know it wasn't there when I woke up.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Okay, let's refresh.

The sequence as I understand it is:
    1. You start watching the recording.
    2. You fall asleep at some point with the recording still playing.
    3. You wake up some time later. The recording is still playing, and the error is not on the screen.
    4. You go to bed leaving the recording still playing.
    5. You wake up in the morning and the error is on the screen.
    Is this correct?

Thing is, the log files obviously can't tell me when you fell asleep, woke up and went to bed. They also can't tell me exactly what you saw, or small but important things such as whether you turned the TV off or whether the TV automatically blanked itself ("screensaver"). I have to combine what you tell me with what the log files tell me in order to try to understand what'd going on. Anything more you can tell me might be vital.

Again, the last indication in the log files is that MP is still playing the recording, and that's at 11:35 PM. At 11:24 PM I see you do a skip forward:
    TSReaderPlayer: current pos:2135.0145894 dur:3831.599

In other words: the recording is only just over half way through at the last entry in MP's log file.

Beyond that all I have is that the Windows application event log tells me that the crash occurred at 7:06 AM:
    [collapse]"10/18/2017 7:06:21 AM";"Windows Error Reporting";"(0)";"Information";"Fault bucket 109154389093, type 1 Event Name: APPCRASH Response: Not available Cab Id: 0 Problem signature: P1: MediaPortal.exe P2: 1.17.100.0 P3: 59a3d8b3 P4: ntdll.dll P5: 10.0.15063.608 P6: 802f667e P7: c0000005 P8: 0005da74 P9: P10: Attached files: \\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER96C9.tmp.dmp \\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERA4D3.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml \\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERA4D4.tmp.csv \\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERA514.tmp.txt These files may be available here: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_MediaPortal.exe_1322e2f95af33d446fdda8dcf4263f37deb9caf_fe8f502c_190c068f Analysis symbol: Rechecking for solution: 0 Report Id: 2e51256d-bf08-476e-99c6-68720203134a Report Status: 268435456 Hashed bucket: 74f116d2aa7ba4b2dd96f3c0bd92123c";"1001"[/collapse]

In other words, it almost looks like whatever you're doing when you wake up is causing the crash.

So, what do you do when you wake up?
    Do you turn the TV on, or is it already on?
    etc. etc. etc.
    Again, the smallest detail could be important.

Johncmug

Portal Member
    November 23, 2015
    Home Country
    So...
    1. I start watching the recording.
    2. I fall asleep at some point with the recording still playing.
    3. I wake up after the recording is complete. I know this because the screen is black.
    4. I go to bed and the screen has timed out and is black. I don't do anything with the TV or the PC. I just get my lazy self to bed.
    5. I wake up in the morning and the error is on the screen.
    MediaPortal is always running on my PC. That's its only purpose. The TV is always on, I never turn either off. When there is no activity the TV goes into screen saver mode.

Not sure that helps at all.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    It does help. (y)

I wake up after the recording is complete. I know this because the screen is black.
    Okay. I can only guess that this must have been after 11:35 PM.

I go to bed and the screen has timed out and is black.
    Okay. I need to ask though: what is it that is timing out and blanking the screen?
    • MediaPortal
    • Windows
    • the TV itself
    • something else
    This could be critical.

I wake up in the morning and the error is on the screen.
    Okay... but does the screen automatically un-blank itself so that you see the error... or more generally: what do you do to un-blank the screen when you want to use MediaPortal?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom