MediaPortal Install Guide (1 Viewer)

damaster

Portal Pro
November 23, 2007
Home Country
Canada Canada
Question. The guide recommends XP SP3, but the MP Confiuration-Hauppauge remote screen says XP SP2. Which is best?

I highly recommend Vista SP2. If you can vLite it to strip it down to the bare essentials, then even better.

FYI: I updated the guide with some recent screenshots. Have a look.

Grahamgo

Portal Member
May 15, 2009
Mexico
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I settled on XP Pro and decided next step is Windows 7 (sometime!).

I originally tried the guide "mediaportal codec guide v.2.pdf" which seems close to your guide except for the H.264, theirs is FFdshow, your is MPC. But I have just tried "SAF v3.47 (Standalone filters for MediaPortal) - DXVA ready (MPEG2, H.264 and VC-1)" perhaps you can comment? It's a bit confusing as to what is best.

I am currently using StreamedMP, biased because of the torrent plugin, but find I cant read the torrent list and the EPG for that matter from across the room, so might go for something simpler.

The StreamedMP EPG "record now" and "advanced recording types" sequence are ambiguous, Blue3 is much simpler to use. Sorry - this is off subject here.

I think the MP-TV series Configuration needs an example input file example for others like me, doing this for the first time. I am trying to make that work now. Edit found it :- https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/my-tvseries-162/expressions-rules-requests-21978/#post142955

Great guide though. It would have saved me days of trial and error.....

globaldonkey

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 23, 2007
    Home Country
    Regarding SAF, it really depends if you want (or can use) DXVA (Hardware acceleration). When HA works, it is great - GPU does the work and CPU remains relatively idle. There are two primary things that will break DXVA - subtitles and bad encodes. Most of my HD files have subtitles, so for me personally, DXVA is pretty hit and miss at the moment. This is slated to be fixed in MP1.1.0.

damaster

Portal Pro
    November 23, 2007
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Regarding SAF, it really depends if you want (or can use) DXVA (Hardware acceleration). When HA works, it is great - GPU does the work and CPU remains relatively idle. There are two primary things that will break DXVA - subtitles and bad encodes. Most of my HD files have subtitles, so for me personally, DXVA is pretty hit and miss at the moment. This is slated to be fixed in MP1.1.0.

Or just use the patch here with 1.0.2, which works great: https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...48/integration-mpc-hc-subtitles-engine-54130/

whaase

Portal Member
    January 20, 2008
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    So I installed this about a month ago and all I can say is THANK YOU!! I'm so happy I moved away from VMC.

I have had a problem that was driving me nuts until last night. I got it half fixed (sorta lol)

None of my ac3/dts would pass through AC3Filter (SPDIF) In fact, even though I have ac3Filter selected in MP config, it does not ever use it when playing. This is the part I can't figure out?

What I did find is, I selected the DirectShow Filter Control setting in MP Config and found that MP is using that for audio!? So I selected ac3 and DTS to use spdif. It all seems to work great now with my amp.

Any idea why no matter what I do, MP will not use ac3filter? When I load the same files in WMP it loads it and works perfect with ac3. I'm kinda at a point where I don't want to touch it anymore lol but for my sanity, I'd like to know what I set up wrong :D And maybe help someone else in the process.

Thanks again

EDIT:

I just tried playing some DTS mkv's today, all of them studder and are choppy. AC3 are fine. I have no idea what's wrong this time. I'm about ready to pull out the hammer!

hoborg

Portal Pro
    June 13, 2008
    Nový Jičín
    Home Country
    Czech Republic Czech Republic
    So I installed this about a month ago and all I can say is THANK YOU!! I'm so happy I moved away from VMC.

I have had a problem that was driving me nuts until last night. I got it half fixed (sorta lol)

None of my ac3/dts would pass through AC3Filter (SPDIF) In fact, even though I have ac3Filter selected in MP config, it does not ever use it when playing. This is the part I can't figure out?

What I did find is, I selected the DirectShow Filter Control setting in MP Config and found that MP is using that for audio!? So I selected ac3 and DTS to use spdif. It all seems to work great now with my amp.

Any idea why no matter what I do, MP will not use ac3filter? When I load the same files in WMP it loads it and works perfect with ac3. I'm kinda at a point where I don't want to touch it anymore lol but for my sanity, I'd like to know what I set up wrong :D And maybe help someone else in the process.

Thanks again

EDIT:

I just tried playing some DTS mkv's today, all of them studder and are choppy. AC3 are fine. I have no idea what's wrong this time. I'm about ready to pull out the hammer!

Try to add AC3 filter to MP postprocessing.

whaase

Portal Member
    January 20, 2008
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Try to add AC3 filter to MP postprocessing.

I did try that a couple days ago, still nothing.

If I use Mpadec for playing h264, then Directshow is handling the audio for some reason?

What I did last night was remove every codec/filter I could. I then installed the newest k-lite codec pack. During the install I made sure that ffdshow did not do AC3 and DTS audio (I selected ac3filter). Then in MP I used ffdhow for h264 playback. It all seems to work now, only downside is ffdshow doesn't seem to look as good with my ripped BR. I imagine some tweaking of the ffdshow will produce some better results?

aullah

Portal Member
    July 16, 2009
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    HELPPPPPPPPP

My thumbnail view doesnt show this many movie, maximum i get is 10 thumnbail with big cover art on side and background,, what do i do so i can seee that many movie thumbail to display movie..............

Also.. on main home screen (see picture above),, i dont get news and weather on top. how do i enable them ?

in addition i have 42" TV .. so its not like i dont have space to show me that much movie, and its running on 1200* 800 res

scottieone

Portal Member
    October 13, 2008
    Florida
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    This guide was very useful... I did not know my version of mp was that old.. Im the king in the house now, got my wifes tv shows to show up .... Again thanks..:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom