MediaPortal locks PC after 15 Minutes idle (1 Viewer)

drummercrm

Portal Member
July 30, 2014
Home Country
Germany Germany
I think I did found the option in Bitdefenders Firewall configuration but somehow the options were already set (see screenshot) bd.png
for the moment I turned off Bitdefenders "AutoPilot". It works now but I think this should also work with enabled Auto Pilot. Am I in the wrong configuration (bitdefender) or did I miss anything?

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Looks OK to me. But as you now allow everything, what is the point of using this firewall? It is just another layer on top of the well-functiong Windows firewall and provides no additional safety because you end up drilling mountain-sized holes into it. Suggest to deactivate the fiurewal part and keep anti virus only.

drummercrm

Portal Member
    July 30, 2014
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Please excuse me, but I think you'd get me wrong. These setting (allow MP, TVService etc.) on all networks with all protocolls were already set before I checked if BD is the reason for resetting energy saving options. I don't really know how Bitdefender works but it seems that the so called "Autopilot" has something to do with this, because since I turned it off, MP works as it should.
    AND: When I turn this Autopilot on again and don't do anything at the firewall settings, the energy saving options will be reset by BD (or MP) to 15 minutes. So I'm nearly sure now, that it has something to do with BD's Autopilot.

To your question, why I am using this Firewall. Well, I'm not exactly sure but it was part of the BD Package I bought a few month ago and never really cared for. I thought it would be a good idea. Now I'm not sure anymore... But I also don't have this advanced knowledge to know how this additional firewall affects my computer and how to do the settings and so on. I just thought: Install it and it will be fine. Maybe I should take a bit more care about it now.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

the client/server protocol information of MediaPortal is set by the installer. but the Mediaportal client part needs to be able to communicate with the server part. This communication is blocked by some part of your BD package, which believes that it has detected some malware.

As I said: I believe that the software firewalls other than Windows are not necessary. If you do not want to switch this part completely off, you could let it be applied to where it might make some sense.There should be a possibility to limit this surveillance to external communications only and let the local network operate freely. In your case communication with 'localhost', 127.0.0.1 or the internal 192.x.x.x IP addresses should be allowed without further questions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom