MediaPortal minimum hardware: my experience (1 Viewer)

karhill

Portal Member
March 19, 2013
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Just a datapoint to let people know my experience with TV streaming with Mediaportal 1.3.0 Final:

I'm running a client/server setup, with the MP TV server (windows 7) running on a 2 core Intel Pentium E2180, 2Ghz. This is a rather old and slow Core2 processor. The Server is grabbing video from Hauppauge HD-PVR boxes hooked to my cable provider.

I'm running MP clients on AMD E-350 boxes (windows 7). This is AMD's first Atom-level processor with an integrated GPU (Radeaon 61xx series). These processors are not fast, but they are dual core. The network is a gigabit Ethernet.

I get smooth HD video on 3 clients right now. The load on the server is quite minimal. I was not getting smooth video with version 13.1 of the AMD catalyst drivers. The video would stutter every 5 seconds or so. With version 11-12 (much older) of the catalyst drivers, the video is quite smooth. CPU load factor runs about 20-30% on the clients.

gonzo90017

Portal Pro
September 3, 2012
Home Country
Interesting about the Catalyst driver version. So the version that works for you is 11.12? I had to upgrade one of my clients from an integrated Radeon HD 3200 to a stand alone 5450 in order to be able to watch tv at 1080.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    The difference in hardware requirements between HD video (720P/1080P) and HD tv (1080i) is huge.

For example an onboard HD3200 would be fine for DXVA compliant HD video, but would not cope with hardware decoding of live TV.

karhill

Portal Member
    March 19, 2013
    Home Country
    I should clarify that the integrated GPU in the AMD E-350 is a 6310, not a 61xx. The client boxes are streaming live TV from a Mediaportal server which is grabbing video from an HD-PVR hooked to my cable boxes. The cable boxes are configured to output 1080i over component video. I had 2 clients working fine, but a third was having stuttering problems. The only real difference between the 3 clients was the catalyst driver version. The box that stuttered had catalyst version 13.1, but when I dropped it back to 11.12 (like the other 2), it worked fine. I didn't really investigate much beyond that...perhaps the 13.1 version was configured differently...not using hardware acceleration or something...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom