MediaPortal on a 500Mhz PC? (1 Viewer)

barnett25

February 17, 2006
I want to setup a spare PC I have lying around to stream video and audio from my main PC via a USB 802.11b adapter. My computer is a PIII at 500Mhz. I realize that the minimum hardware requirements state that you need a 1.4Ghz CPU, but I was hoping that that is only if you are going to record live tv (which I dont want to do, I already have tivo). So excluding recording tv, can my 500Mhz PC run this software?

Callifo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 7, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Home Country
    Does it meet the rest of the requirements in terms of ram/video card? And is it a P3 for example and not a celeron? Depends on a lot of stuff. Also 11b isnt all that fast and we we had it, it definately wasnt fast enough for streaming divx files let alone dvd content.

barnett25

February 17, 2006
    It is a Pentium, not a Celeron. It has 384MB of RAM. It doesn't have a good enough graphics card now, but I need to buy one that has RCA out anyway, so if I can find one cheap enough I could get a DX9 card.
    Mostly I will be streaming mpeg, avi, and wmv files, and also music.
    I just hate to spend $50 on a vid card and find that the software is unusable because of the CPU.

tein

Portal Member
    February 12, 2006
    Sweden
    No harm to try if it's a spare PC! Maybe you could test the machine with your other graphics card first?

I used to run Mediaportal 0.2rc2 on a celeron 500Mhz, 512MB ram with a graphics card from 2001 (32MB Radeon VE). The menus was really slow but I could play MP3s and the most divx/xvids (depending on quality of course).

That machine also acted as a file server with an 802.11b PCI card. That was fast enough for my other computer to play music and divx/xvid. I never tried the other way around.

I never tested looking/recording TV as I didn't have a TV-card at that point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom