MediaPortal on second VGA screen (clone mode) goes minimized when main TV switches to OFF (1 Viewer)

wouter1971

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 19, 2008
    Purmerend, Holland
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    MediaPortal Version: 1.4.0

Description
    Hello all,

I could not find my issue here so opened another bugreport.
    My setup is a dual screen setup (clone mode 1080p) as you can see on my profile picture.

My scenario:

When i switch OFF the main TV screen (hdmi connected) MediaPortal on the second screen goes minimized while this one is still connected (vga). Second VGA screen is unusable in this way.
    If i switch the my TV to ON the MP GUI comes back on both.

Many times it also stays minimized en unresponsive when resuming from stand-by. So i have to do a restart of MP.
    I guess this last one is covered in "https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/resuming-from-standby-not-working.119935/"

I know you all want logs, i will supply them later today. But maybe others can relate to this issue.

Greetings

Steps to Reproduce:
    Have MediaPortal run in dual screen screen setup (Clone mode). HDMI+VGA connected. Switch OFF HDMI connected TV. Result: MediaPortal on second VGA screen goes minimized.

Last edited:

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    @Scythe42, probably related to the D3D changes in 1.4.0. Lets see if logs will provide some more info.

Scythe42

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2009
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Need logs, so see what messages Window is sending to MP in that scenario.

Last edited:

wouter1971

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 19, 2008
    Purmerend, Holland
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Logs attached.

Switched TV OFF and ON twice after startup of MP. So you can see this scenario twice.

Last edited:

wouter1971

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 19, 2008
    Purmerend, Holland
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I think this is a Windows 8 specific issue. With MP 1.4 i moved to Windows 8 too. I see that all open applications/windows behave that way not only MediaPortal. All windows minimize. Strange. Some tips to prevent this?
    I think the issue can be closed, it's not MediaPortal.

Last edited:

wouter1971

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 19, 2008
    Purmerend, Holland
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I fixed it!
    Anyone with the same problem should read this, turning the TV or receiver OFF and ON is no issue anymore:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com...ac80a21fdc2/disable-monitor-off-detection-how

Dirty hack to fix the HDMI problem:

- Block pin 19 of the HDMI cable (hotplug detect pin) with a small piece of electrician tape as seen on the picture, the TV is now without signal because it's not detected.
    - Have a second monitor connected!
    - Go into the "set up multiple displays" configuration menu of NVidia Control Panel. Then you press the option "my display is not shown in the list".
    - In the next window press the box for 'rigorous display detection' and accept it when it asks if you want to enable it for sure.
    - Reboot the HTPC and see that you have picture on both monitors and turning the TV OFF/ON has no effect anymore. Hoeraaay!!!! :)

This also works for 1 connected TV/monitor, but you need an extra monitor to enable the NVIDIA configuration part.

71953.jpg

Moderator please do not remove this bugreport but move it to other thread so it's not lost!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom