MediaPortal Online Videos Plugin - support for BBC iPlayer subtitles (1 Viewer)

EditBear

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 27, 2012
    Tunbridge Wells
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I am partially deaf - and use the subtitle button ("S") on the web-version of BBC iPlayer.
    I also use the "Yellow" button within MediaPortal to display DVB or teletext subtitles for live and recorded programmes.

I really like the simplicity and integration of your OnlineVideos plugin (ver 1.2.0.2050) to view BBC iPlayer programmes within MediaPortal, but there are no broadcast subtitles displayed?

Is is possible to allow the "Yellow" button to turn on streamed subtitles within the plugin?
    I would very much appreciate this!

Is there any other way of displaying subtitles in the OnlineVideos plugin?

Last edited:

Brownard

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 21, 2007
    Home Country
    OnlineVideos does support subtitles and I can get to the iPlayer subtitles...but I can't get them to work. :(
    The subtitles are in Timed Text Authoring Format, does anybody know if these are supported by the subtitle engine?

Edit: I can convert the subtitles into a displayable format but a small change to OnlineVideos is needed to display them so you'll have to wait for the next version which hopefully won't be too long.

Last edited:

EditBear

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 27, 2012
    Tunbridge Wells
    Home Country
    Thank you, I have found the Subtitles button within Mediaportal Online Videos Plugin - but can confirm that it does not work.
    Although there is a subtitle on/off function and subtitle delay option - the blue radio button lights up - but no subtitles are displayed.

Please Brownard - can you mark this as important in the next release - as without it my enjoyment of Iplayer, 4oD and catch-up TV is severely impaired.

May I take this chance to say a huge thank you to all the developers who have made MediaPortal the excellent system it is today.
    I am very impressed with it - and feel that the community which surrounds Mediaportal really does support the users in a way the Windows Media Centre was so sorely lacking.

Very well done to all.

offbyone

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 26, 2008
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    We just released the new version 1.3 which has support for subtitles on BBC implemented by Brownard. Though I'm not sure if the latest version of the site is on the server, but it's just a matter of hours until it's published ;)

Brownard

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 21, 2007
    Home Country
    I've updated the sites - iPlayer, ITV Player and 4od all now have subtitle support. You need to set RetrieveSubtitles to true in the site context menu (or config) then subtitles will be downloaded and displayed.

EditBear

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 27, 2012
    Tunbridge Wells
    Home Country
    Many thanks Brownard and offbyone! Where do I find the new software? the official site only seems to be 1.2.3

metropolis

Portal Pro
    June 1, 2007
    Orpington
    Home Country
    I've updated the sites - iPlayer, ITV Player and 4od all now have subtitle support. You need to set RetrieveSubtitles to true in the site context menu (or config) then subtitles will be downloaded and displayed.

Hi, where exactly can I find the 'RetrieveSubtitles' setting?

Cheers.

offbyone

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 26, 2008
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    When you're in the view where you see the BBC site, focus BBC and press F9 (context menu - remote mapping may differ).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom