mediaportal playback quality lacks with 2 extended desktop setup (1 Viewer)

rjamesbeen

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 9, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    (could not edit thread title: -2)

Hi guys, been very happy for several years with my dedicated HTPC setup with mediaportal as my main source of HTPC happiness..
    After upgrading with Asus P8H61-M mobo and i5 processor and recently with low profile GT520 GPU I dared to make my move to remove my desktop pc from the picture. I connected a second cable from the HTPC to a full hd monitor to use for general PC works.

This monitor I use as the primary monitor and the LCD TV as extended desktop solely for mediaportal. This setup works perfectly, however.. when I playback any video from mediaportal the video playback is not fluent any more.. The processor is not working above 10% and memory is available.
    The moment I play video from a single player like mpc on the extended desktop it works perfectly.. Full HD or SD videos play as smooth as can be.. Using mpc from within mediaportal as the external player does not do the trick either. So it has got to do with mediaportal somewhere is my logical conclusion.

Anybody has an idea where to look for the answers or solution to the problem? I am hooked on mediaportal so I really want to get this working!

mbuzina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 11, 2005
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I recall that Win XP did not support DirectX HW accell. on 2nd Monitor, but this could be old info. Why not create some logfiles (see my footer) and post them here?

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Assuming you are running Vista/Win7 with EVR and Aero desktop - it's a known issue, but nobody really understands why it happens.

Some people have found that using the experimental 'part_DWM' dshowhelper versions -> here <- can help (e.g. v0078_part_DWM, v0084_part_DWM or v0092_part_DWM)

Tony

rjamesbeen

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 9, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Thanks for answering.. I have uploaded log file.. I am running Win7 wth Aero Desktop and EVR yes..
    Switching off Automatic Refresh rate does not change anything.

Is this the final conclusion: problem is a known issue/bug, MP can not be run with an extended desktop setup?

Owlsroost: I read your suggestion with the link but this exceeds my level of expertise.. Plugins I can add but changing dll's is too much for me.

running Win64 will not make a difference?

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Changing the dshowhelper.dll is easy - quit from MP, go to the 'C:\Program Files(x86)\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal' folder, make a backup copy of the original dshowhelper.dll, then just copy the new one (after un-zipping it) into the folder. Start MP and try it out....

Tony

rjamesbeen

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 9, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Changing the dshowhelper.dll is easy - quit from MP, go to the 'C:\Program Files(x86)\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal' folder, make a backup copy of the original dshowhelper.dll, then just copy the new one (after un-zipping it) into the folder. Start MP and try it out....

Tony
    This I could do without any problem.. the thread looked more difficult than it actually was..

Perfect solution Tony! I tried all versions and came up with the final 92a no DWM. Almost all video formats are running smooth most of the times, at certain moments with for example Frozen planet 1080i mkv it has some glitches.. it looks that some services are influencing the playback when I work on the system with mediaportal video playback at the same time..

Maybe then my Win7 32bit is running out of memory eventhough memory seems to be available (reserved) but none free.. Anyway I am allready happy with this major progress! I will try to find out where these ocassional glitches come from. If you have some idea where to look please let me know.

Thanks!

wouter1971

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 19, 2008
    Purmerend, Holland
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hi, i have a setup with htpc with buildin 7 inch screen. No problems when running in clone mode, and make sure that the big lcd is your primary device. I'm also running on v92 no dwm. The htpc is always In standby mode and restart mediaportal on resume is configured. Sometimes some stuttering problems but a complete reboot before watching a movie does the trick.
    Greetings, Wouter

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom