Mediaportal Plugin Installer (1 Viewer)

Good idea?

• Total voters

TheVideoViking

Portal Pro
November 30, 2004
Groningen, Netherlands
tomtom21000 said:
OK, here is another thing to think of: Is it possible to let the user also remove a plugin. After downloading and playing around with 6 plugins the user decides, that 2 of them do not suit his needs.
:
:
Seems to be a hard task. Maybe start simple and let the thing grow?

tomtom

I've been thinking about that as well. I'm starting simple to let it grow, but I also want to be prepared. So I'm exploring somewhat the option of tracking intalled plugins. After that's done, I will forget it at first and make sure you can install everything.

samuel337

Portal Pro
August 25, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
Here's a problem that someone might want to sort out:

When people develop plugins, they tend to want to submit it to CVS (or the devs ask them to). When they do that, the devs compile it together into one WindowPlugins.dll or ProcessPlugins.dll file (presumably to save loading time).

When your plugin installer comes out, what are your plans with the plugins? Obviously, if you want to be able to install/remove them individually, you're going to need the plugins as seperate dll files. I think there needs to be some talk with the devs about the procedure of developing plugins for MP.

Sam

TheVideoViking

Portal Pro
November 30, 2004
Groningen, Netherlands
I don't see it as a problem at the moment. There are enough plugins right now that aren't in embedded in the MP-CVS. Another thing is that I've been watching MP for about 1.5 years now, and as the app develops and is gaining complexity, the time between releases grows. When it will be "completed", or the attention will shift to MP 2.0 or something, there probably will be even less releases and plugins will depend on manual installation for longer periods of time. Therefor I think the two ways of dealing with plugins can go hand in hand. But that's offcourse only my opinion, it is a good idea to talk about it as you suggest.

But besides new functionality this plugin can be used to install skins, which I think will be handy always.

barranger

Portal Pro
May 31, 2004
This is a fantastic idea, and I would be more than willing to publish any/all plugins I create in this manner.

I'll be looking to release a beta of a My Torrents plugin in a week or two and wouldn't mind using it to test any progress you have made

TheVideoViking

Portal Pro
November 30, 2004
Groningen, Netherlands
My Torrents plugin sounds cool. I don't think the installer will be ready before you are. I have been working on it, but I have to spend some time on my graduation now. I'm still working on it, but I'm only doing small pieces at the time. I a couple of days I will be spending more time on the installer, but at the moment I'm working on the skin-installation section, after that I will move on to the "real" plugin section. I can't make a quess how long it will take. I will keep track on your plugin and would still like your support after I have relaesed something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom