MPEG2 Audio Codec: Cyberlink PowerDVD7
Satelite/CableTV Provider:
HTPC Case:
Cooling:
Power Supply:
Remote: Windows MCE Remote & Keyboard
TV: Hitachi PJ-TX300
TV - HTPC Connection: DVI->HDMI Cable, 7.5m

See the system above; all files lay on a CIFS share on a 100mbit network, readonly access fpr MP. Skin is XFace 1.2, latest. It takes (no kidding) 45 secs to get the 20 subfolders of my pictures share, more than a minute to get the cover view for ~80 HD files (with covers looked up) in one share and nearly 10 seconds to get the imdb info screen showing the imdb info which has already been downloaded.

And that with the system above. Is this normal? Skin Blue goes a bit faster (since it doesnt use that nix gfx i suppose), but only by some few seconds faster. It even happens when navigating back from a directory.

Is this a common issue?

thanks, seven

BillyGates

Portal Pro
October 16, 2006
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I wouldn't say it's really common all your files are on a ReadOnly CIFS share...

Is MP installed on a local drive with full access?

I'd trying giving full access to the CIFS share, to see if it's some problem with MP trying to write thumbnail files and taking awhile to timeout.

Good luck!

McSeven

Portal Pro
February 24, 2007
Home Country
Germany Germany
Is MP installed on a local drive with full access?
- yap
I'd trying giving full access to the CIFS share, to see if it's some problem with MP trying to write thumbnail files and taking awhile to timeout.
- tried that.

I even recreated the whole video database and reselected the view "all movies". no feelable change. it takes _ages_ to load the nice view with the covers. the local hd doesn't seem to be in much stress, and the remote cifs is an adaptec raid 0 array, i suppose it could handle it...

more ideas ;) ?
thanks, seven

BillyGates

Portal Pro
October 16, 2006
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
My last thought is to copy a bunch of videos to the local drive to prove if it's an issue strictly with a shared drive.

Personally I use local and external USB drives so I can't speak from experience on how well MP works over a LAN.

Good luck.

Darre

Portal Pro
April 21, 2007
Home Country
Norway Norway
In my experience its hopeless with both 54mbit and 100mbit lan.. Its just to much of a lag opening folders. I only tried with xface and filmstrip view tho. Going to order a 1gbit switch soon, then it probably wont be a problem anymore =)

phunqe

Portal Pro
April 28, 2007
I have my movies on a NAS RAID, but even with 1Gb connection a directory listing takes way longer than it should. However, if you list the movies in "database mode" (i.e by IMDB titles etc) they display more or less instant since that doesn't involve any network access.

Darre

Portal Pro
April 21, 2007
Home Country
Norway Norway
I have my movies on a NAS RAID, but even with 1Gb connection a directory listing takes way longer than it should. However, if you list the movies in "database mode" (i.e by IMDB titles etc) they display more or less instant since that doesn't involve any network access.

Doh this really doesnt encourage using a server :-/

well thx for telling me, saved me some cash =)

phunqe

Portal Pro
April 28, 2007
If you add all your movies to the database (through IMDB or whatever) and display your movies in database view I don't see an issue though. The directory listing shouldn't really be used in my opinion, unless you have a specific reason for it :)
It looks much better in the database view (no ugly filenames etc).

Darre

Portal Pro
April 21, 2007
Home Country
Norway Norway
Ill look into using the Database, but i dont like databases in MP as the one in the music section keeps making trouble for me(wont save views, wont display the stuff I edit in setup)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom