MediaPortal Test Tool throwing an exception (1 Viewer)

johnzered

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 20, 2008
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    This might be a Vista only related issue, because in XP you usually have more rights (by default at least).

Anyway here are the steps to reproduce (in Vista):
    -start MediaPortal Test Tool without admin rights
    -click the button with the text "Perform actions necessary before testing"
    -exception is thrown telling you access denied to file...

So the problem is it cannot delete old log files because of insufficient file io rights.
    I think this should probably be catched and a more friendly message would be displayed instead. I know MediaPortal works better if you run it as an administrator in Vista or at least for me it does but still I think theese kind of messages shouldn't come up.

//johzered

Attachments

• exception.jpg
      exception.jpg
      31.6 KB

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    thats an interesting error. i never seen that on my pc here.

do you use an "normal user account" or an so called "administrator" account?
    i guess user account control (uac) is on as well?

johnzered

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 20, 2008
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    Personally never got MP to play nicely within Vista without doing this Make your Vista's admin account acts like in XP - Neowin Forums

Did try every combination i could think of, same again for 3 days when SP1 came out, just gave up and reverted to above, at least i only then have the wife and kids arguing with me :D

:)
    Yeah I know, but I don't want to do that I still think UAC is a good thing even though a little bit evil. I read somewhere recently that it should be possible to turn of uac for selected applications only but I haven't got time to test it yet. BUT I do run MediaPortal with admin rights. It was just when I was about to make an error report that I forgot to run this with admin rights too.

It's an "administrator" account and UAC is on.

//johnzered

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria

It's an "administrator" account and UAC is on.

//johnzered
    okay then i will re-enable uac and try to reproduce that error. :)

zowie

July 7, 2008
    Hannover
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hello,

a good attempt to fix these kinds of issues would be, to let the installer change the access rights for the <All Users>\Team MeadiaPortal directory. It should add full access rights for the "Users" group to the "<All Users>\Team MediaPortal" folder (effectively "C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal" on Vista).

With the default settings under Vista "Users" have no permission to:
    "Delete subfolders and files", "Delete", "Change permissions" and "Take ownership".
    In addition to the error above, the missing "Delete" permission hurts functions that recreate files instead of modifying them. These files are redirected to the virtualization directory.

If you look at the C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal directory and check the permission settings of the subfolders, you will note that various companies change them. Often "Everyone" has all rights. So it seems to be common to do this.

Another benefit of this solution would be, that any issues with the vitrualization will disappear. Today (1.0RC2) there is at least one file in "C:\Users\<Username>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Data", which is the "keymap.xml".

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom