Mediaportal TV-server on Windows Server 2012 (1 Viewer)

Julien2012R2

July 10, 2014
Home Country
Germany Germany
(First of all, I know Server 2012 R2 is not supported officially, but it seems some of you got TV cards running)

I am running Server 2012 R2 Essentials on a HP ProLiant Gen 8.
I tried to get my TT Connect 4600 USB running, but I get an error message while tried to scan for channels.
"No connection"
Switching to TechnoTrend's TTviewer, I get an error message either like: "All devices are occupied"
Card is powered and the blue control light is on.
The TV card is working fine with Win 7 and 8.1, I tested that. But it is not working with Win 7 in a VM environment on my HP.
It seems there is an issue with this card and Server 2012 R2 Essentials.

Does anyone has been successful in implemented this TV card on 2012 R2 Essentials?

Which card is definitely working on Server 2012 R2 Essentials if I try getting a new one?

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Since Essentials includes a 'copy' of the BDA drivers from a Windows 8 installation, i think any card that works on Win 8, should also work on Server 2012 R2, but we can never guarantee anything.

Julien2012R2

July 10, 2014
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Thx for quick replies.

Since Essentials includes a 'copy' of the BDA drivers from a Windows 8 installation, i think any card that works on Win 8, should also work on Server 2012 R2, but we can never guarantee anything.
    Yes I know, that's why it is not officially supported. The thing is that the TechnoTrend TT-Connect S2 - 4600 (http://engl.technotrend.eu/2983/TT-connect_S2-4600.html) is Windows 8 capable. And I even tried to copy the BDA driver from Win8.1.

As long as you use the correct driver, the problem is almost certainly not with the tuner. The problem will be the OS and/or OS configuration.
    That's the issue i guess. TechnoTrend offers only limited support... The provided driver is for all windows versions and a detailed manual is missing. Other drivers are not available?!

Since others in this thread got it running, my intention is to figure out which DVB-S2 USB product they are using.
    Any suggestion?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I think you missed the point. Both HomeY and I are saying that your TechnoTrend Connect S2-4600 should work with Server 2012 if you install the BDA framework correctly. If you don't install BDA correctly then no tuners will work. So my advice is to continue to try to figure out why your TT tuner doesn't work. Forget about other products; they also won't work if your TT tuner won't work.

Julien2012R2

July 10, 2014
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I think you missed the point. Both HomeY and I are saying that your TechnoTrend Connect S2-4600 should work with Server 2012 if you install the BDA framework correctly. If you don't install BDA correctly then no tuners will work. So my advice is to continue to try to figure out why your TT tuner doesn't work. Forget about other products; they also won't work if your TT tuner won't work.

On the bottom line we are talking about the same point.
    But Essentials should have the BDA onboard.
    On top of that I installed the essentials experience and tried to grab the BDA from a Win 8.1 machine via the "Tenniswood" method.
    I can try to emulate my errors and take some screenshots.

Last edited:

Julien2012R2

July 10, 2014
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    So I tried to re-install the BDA on my Server 2012 R2 Essentials using the BDA from my 8.1 machine with this one: http://www.tenniswood.co.uk/technology/windows/adding-bda-support-into-windows-server-2012/
    I logged in as Admin and executed the msi with Admin rights:
    Capture1.PNG
    Capture2.PNG

My TT-connect is recognised by the system.

Capture3.PNG

But I still get "No Hardware found"

What went wrong?
    Got an explanation for Access denied?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    But Essentials should have the BDA onboard.
    Some people say Server 2012 has it; some people say you have to enable certain features; other people say it doesn't have it at all. I'm not sure what the right answer is. All I know is that it is required. :)

Please provide the MediaPortal log files so that I can try to understand what is happening:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_MEDIAPORTAL_1/16_Support/3_Forums/2_Log_Files

What went wrong?
    Got an explanation for Access denied?
    My guess is that the files are in use by a driver, or you didn't execute the script with admin privileges.

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    So I tried to re-install the BDA on my Server 2012 R2 Essentials using the BDA from my 8.1 machine with this one:
    That's a bit of a tricky action, since those drivers should already be there because you installed Essentials.

Did you enable the 'Media Foundation' feature? This seems also needed for BDA support.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

You cannot exchange the BDA Drivers this way - the system prevents this becasue they are after the respective server role has been activated on the Server. Anyway this is not required as those drivers will work out of the box.

You may want to summarize what Features you have activated, e.g. Desktop Experience. There is probably something missing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom