MediaPortal & Wakeup for Recording (1 Viewer)

Sohvaperuna

Portal Pro
January 29, 2008
Hi,

To me it seems a bit confusing how you are supposed to configure MediaPortal to wake up from standby to record.

In my system there is only one computer, running service and client. Windows 7 as a OS.

I would like to
1) Computer go to sleep when I press a button (did not manage to do this either yet, using EventGhost & MCE remote)
2) Computer would not go to sleep even if I ask it to, if it is currently recording or another client is streaming
3) Computer would wake up for recording
4) Computer would to go sleep after recording/timeout

Some questions;

a) Should I disable TVservice PowerScheduler since there is also client running in a same machine? Should client side plugin
decide when to go to sleep
b) Which component will take care of the wakeup? TVservice PowerScheduler?
c) I would like to reinitialize/restart TVservice on resume, should I use TVservice PowerScheduler for that or maybe
MPStandByHandler?
d) It seems I have a problem with my tuner after resume (Nova T-500), another tuner seems to get broken. And tips how to reset
it?
e) Should I disable Windows's own power management?
f) Can computer wake up from hibernate?
g) Can I use a util to shutdown TVservice before standby, does my computer anymore wake up for recording if I do so?

Thanks,
Sohvaperuna
:confused:

Newer go this working properly in MediaPortal, MediaCenter works perfectly out of the box.
MediaCenter has some annoying features, so I'll give a MediaPortal another try since now it seems
to work somewhat better in Windows 7 than a month ago.

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    No experience with Win7, but in general:

a) You must have both TV-server abd client plugins working.
    b) TV-server PowerScheduler - this is the 'master' plugin.
    c) I'd use PowerScheduler.
    d) Reinitializing the TV-server after resume is also supposed to reinitialise the tuners, but I think you also need to set a wait after resume for the T-500 (it takes a long time to resume).
    e) Yes
    f) Probably, but this is hardware dependant. Resume from S3 sleep is much faster, and on my HTPC there is no difference in power consumption between hibernate or S3 sleep.
    g) It probably won't wake up - PowerScheduler needs to control sending the PC to sleep.

Tony

Sohvaperuna

Portal Pro
    January 29, 2008
    Thanks, got it working. Almost atleast.

I use EventGhost for my remote, since I could not figure any other way to start up MediaPortal with MCE remote's green button.
    So from MediaPortal configuration, I have not configured remote to be enabled.

I can use remote to simulate pretty much anything.

Now I have configured power button to Windows Standby.
    Problem is that if I have recording going on, MediaPortal does not seem to block standby, not sure if it would be possible,
    but anyway that's the problem.

I would like the power button to work this way if possible;
    In case there is a recording going on, then the view would be just dimmed and computer will be put to standby when recording is finished.

If there is no recording, then the computer would go to standby immediately, without any questions.

Would that be possible?

usualsuspect

Portal Pro
    May 12, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Problem is that if I have recording going on, MediaPortal does not seem to block standby, not sure if it would be possible,
    I assume you have to call the standby out of mp.

n case there is a recording going on, then the view would be just dimmed and computer will be put to standby when recording is finished.
    this should work with powerscheduler, except the display dimming. therefore you need away mode . At the moment I think only gmps is able to use it...

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country

Vista (and I assume Win 7) does not allow software to block standby, so MP can't do this.

You must allow PowerScheduler to put the PC to sleep - otherwise it might not wake up for recordings....

Just setup PowerScheduler server and client plugins to sleep automatically after 5 minutes when MP is at the homescreen, then configure EventGhost to send 'b', 'b' and 'h' (= stop, stop, go to homescreen) to MP when you hit the power button on the remote. PowerScheduler will then put the PC to sleep after 5 minutes of no activity, unless recordings are in progress.

Tony

usualsuspect

Portal Pro
    May 12, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Vista (and I assume Win 7) does not allow software to block standby, so MP can't do this.
    gmps can prevent standby. on 7 and vista, when it blocks, a windows-popup appears. showing that gmps blocks and asks if you want to wait, or not.
    I do not know, if it really blocks, or just asks win not to go into standby, but it works perfectly.

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    My comment was just based on what the MP devs have said in the past about blocking standby - I don't know if that actually is the situation.

Tony

Sohvaperuna

Portal Pro
    January 29, 2008
    I dropped EventGhost since it is not working properly when I keep remote button pressed down.

So now I use only MPTray to start MediaPortal with green button.

I configured PowerTV button of remote from MediaPortal Configuration to MediaPortal Suspend or Windows Suspend.
    When I hit the button, MediaPortal goes to sleep even if it is recording. Is this really supposed to work like this? I would expect atleast MediaPortal Suspend to figure out if it is possible to shutdown.

Is it also so that if PowerScheduler did not decide about suspend, then it will not wakeup?
    Currently my HTPC is not waking up, might be that I have put computer to sleep manually.

I had also problem when I configured PowerScheduler to go to sleep after 5min, computer woke up
    7min before recording. Recording started and after 5min HTPC went to sleep, while MediaPortal was
    recording. I am not sure if this is a problem currently since now MediaPortal is not waking anymore.

Sohvaperuna

Portal Pro
    January 29, 2008
    I configured PowerTV button of remote from MediaPortal Configuration to MediaPortal Suspend or Windows Suspend.
    When I hit the button, MediaPortal goes to sleep even if it is recording. Is this really supposed to work like this? I would expect atleast MediaPortal Suspend to figure out if it is possible to shutdown.

Anyone have an idea how can I get working suspend button?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom