Mediaportal... what has happened to you? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AxelSt

Portal Member
December 2, 2005
Munich
Home Country
Germany Germany
I have been using Sceneo before coming back to MP. I must say that the comments in the initial post about MP are not at all justified. I have never tested Microsoft's Media Center, but with all others that I tested, there are issues. It took me ages to get Sceneo v2 working and when I got their current third version, I was very disappointed because for my setup (HTPC not connected to the internet) Sceneo v3 is unusable. When starting with MP again, there are also "issues" but hey: what is the biggest difference between Sceneo, MS, Cyberlink on one side and MP on the other? Yes: MP is OPEN and FREE.
Taking into account that it is free and that the developers are working on it in their spare time, I feel that the comments in the first thread are not appropriate.
Taking into account that neither Sceneo not any other Media center I know of have started to work out a TV-Server-Client architecture like MP does, I must even say that MP is far advanced. There are still issues, but here you get a new version EVERY day. Bugs are fixed on a daily basis. Look for that ANYWHERE else. You won't find it.
I am very happy to be part of a development which will have the BEST and most flexible MediaCenter at its end.

Axel

FlipGer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 27, 2004
    Leipzig, Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

I used to run mediaportal 1.3 ages ago. Some of you may remember me, when the software card support was dropped and my card stopped working I left and went to meedio.

UNABLE TO CREATE GRAPH ERROR
    UNABLE TO CREATE GRAPH ERROR

You have to install an software encoder to use analog software cards. You would have known that, if you read the wiki...

Flip.

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    **Sigh**

I don't get what is so hard about running windows update then downloading the TV card drivers. Seems his main gripe is that Windows update needs an internet connection to work.
    If the card in question is the Compro t300 then many many peoiple have it working flawlessly. Didn't even take much skill at all.

Devs, I hope you treat these posts as the trolls they are. Go read the congratulatory threads of all the people who have enough knowledge to get MP running or to ask for help if they get stuck.

Noelix

Portal Pro
    February 18, 2006
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    It really says some great things about this community when posts like this result in help and discussion, as opposed to deletion and/or banning.

Keep up the great work, devs. You're on a great track.

Ashtefere

Portal Member
    April 27, 2006
    Its pretty obvious the mindset of the posters here are all in the "elitist stfu noob" group.
    Or, they themselves are the noobs.
    Windows update? Did you forget to read the part in my original post where I said the htpc isnt connected to the net? oh, my bad. I should have highlighted and italicced it so you guys would take notice.
    Now, let me try clear something up.
    A htpc is not a PC.
    again.
    A htpc is not a PC.

It should be as fast and lean as possible without any other unnecessary bloating to facilitate the fastest booting possible (in order to resemble hi-fi equipment) and to enable the user to use older/unused computer components they have lying around.

One thing that I cant stand is to have a pc sitting in the lounge leeching my bandwidth for "security updates" and the like. Just no. Its not going to happen.
    Third party apps you ask?

.Net 1.x
    .Net 2.x
    Windows installer 1.x
    Windows installer 2.x
    Windows installer 3.x

Thats about 100mb of extra downloads there (dont quote me on that or jump up and say ZOMG ITS ONLY 79MB YOU NOOB! or some other dribble)

Mediaportal used to be the easisest, simplest to use htpc software of all, which is why I used to use it. Now, it is by far the most complex and overbloated of all of that. This, you cannot disagree with. Even the unsupported unfinished beta version of Meedios TV engine works better than mediaportals. (i managed to get this working with my "unsupported card" in less than 4 minutes")

My post was to try and make people see how over complex and bloated mp had become, and offered constructive criticism. It was not a flame. You guys seem a little touchy however. Hit a nerve, did i?

As for the software tuner part, I did have a software decoder. It came on the dvb t300 disk. The tuner card and software supplied worked fine. The graph error I had occurs on any machine with this card and the setup instructions in the faq.
    The fact that I had to look at the faq in the first place is a sad state of affairs.
    Whatever happened to the phrase "it just works?"

As for the refund comment, no, I didnt pay for mediaportal. But the developers have a responsibility now, I feel. Its either them or M$. In our store we instruct people daily to use mediaportal instead of MCE. I still do, because yes, it is superior. But I feel its going backwards.
    99% of the population would not know how to set up mediaportal correctly. I myself HAVE actually set it up correctly, because the install did infact used to work. It worked great. Then I updated and it didnt. And again. And again.

The state of mediaportal is like vista. They have heaped too much crap onto/into it, and it really does need to be started again. From scratch, and without all this .net and win installer crap.

Notice how both my posts are intelligble and filled with information and opinion? well, if you want to reply, I would appreciate your response was the same.
    Also, please double read my posts before posting any ignorant comments, and any name calling will be ignored.
    -Ash

tvStatic

Portal Member
    April 14, 2006
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    .NET and Windows Installer are hardly third party apps. Nor do you need to install every version. Giving a grand total of two Windows components needed.

MCE has the advantage of being integrated with the OS so that all the components come pre-installed. You can't get the same situation with an application that works on top of the OS. If you want to use MP, you really have to resign yourself to 1. updating your HTPC with the software needed, and 2. spending some time configuring, troubleshooting etc. You can't expect everything to work straight out of the box like MCE. You might say that "an HTPC is not a PC", but every HTPC begins its life as a PC and can be configured as such.

Many, many people have managed to get this "bloated" application running, easily or with difficulty. Those having difficulty have gotten help from the forums.

I failed to see any constructive feedback. Given that your only suggestions were to "LEARN FROM YOUR MISTAKES AND START AGAIN" or "JUST USE THE DSCALER BACKEND" despite the fact that it works, your post basically amounts to a flame, whether you intended as such or not.

Orpheous

Portal Member
    February 12, 2007
    Tropical Far North Queensland :P
    Home Country
    "Now, let me try clear something up.
    A htpc is not a PC."

May I refer you to the following quote?:
    http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=X&s...l_computer&usg=__z4U7PMW71YAlmSzMIAECqyC595k=
    DIRECT QUOTE:
    A home theater PC (HTPC) is a personal computer that is used to replace components in a home theater system. The general goal in a HTPC is usually to combine most (or all) of a home theater setup into one box. There are lots of advantages to this type of setup.

switzch

Portal Member
    April 22, 2006
    toronto
    i just switched from Meedio and had no problems. MP is great and the community here is also great.

I agree that MP has its issues, but they are pretty minor, and you know they will get fixed down the road.

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Ashtefere
    you should better get used to the fact that applications require an up to date Windows installation and drivers. even if you do not like it.

Its not only the "evil" MediaPortal which demands .net1, 2 and Windows Installer.

i.e. If you have an ATI card, then you allready have to install .net2 to be able to use the control center. (i know you will now say "but i do not want that, i do not use it ;) )

So at the end, you are not complaning about issues you have with MediaPortal, the only thing you are complaining about is that you have to hook your PC up to the i-net and run some updates to be able to use up-to-date software.
    Which is realy not our problem that you do not want to do that.

btw. if you would search google for "WindowsXP update pack" then you would not have to get your HTPC online to get your HTPC Windows up-to-date.

IF you realy want help with the setup of your TV-Card,
    then start a proper support thread instead of that
    moaning
    here.

We have no problems with criticism, but then this has to be done in a objective and polite way.
    Telling us that :
    Ashtefere said:
    "You guys have gone backwards, and mediaportal is utterly pathetic in its current stage. "
    (...)
    "Its obvious you are having a lot of trouble with making a good tv engine. JUST USE THE "DSCALER BACKEND. Forget trying to code one, its not your forte."
    (...)
    "The state of mediaportal is like vista. They have heaped too much crap onto/into it, and it really does need to be started again. From scratch, and without all this .net and win installer crap."
    Is FAR away from that.

Nothing more to say, that thread reached an dead-end.

CLOSED
    :D

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom