[solved] - MediaPortal won't start

Discussion in 'General Support' started by McNiall, September 20, 2014.

1. McNiall

McNiall Portal Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 1
    Home Country:
    Australia Australia
    Show System Specs
    Hi,

MP was working fine until 24hrs ago... now it won't start.
    I can see the application starting in task manager, but a few seconds later it disappears.
    I also can see two MP entries in the Task Manager > Startup tab (assume there should only be one?)

The only two relevant events I can think of that may have impacted MP are:
    - Microsoft System update (update for 8.1)
    - Possible unexpected shut down (I found the PC in restart/login mode yesterday morning, when I left it running/idle the night before?)

I was going to backup the databases etc and reinstall, but the config utility won't run either. The only MP application that will run is WatchDog (thankfully.... log files attached)

Apologies - not an expert in this kind of thing (installing & setup was easy.... troubleshooting this type of problem is way beyond me!)

Thanks,

McNiall

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. mm1352000
    • Team MediaPortal

mm1352000 Development Group

Ratings:
    +8,205 / 17
    Home Country:
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello and welcome McNiall :)

Yep, this is the cause.

Your MediaPortal.xml file (which is the main MediaPortal configuration file) is totally corrupted.
    That file can be found in c:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal. Note Windows normally hides ProgramData, so you may need to copy and paste that path into the address bar in Windows Explorer to find the file.
    Once you find the file, delete it.
    You may be lucky and find there is a backup - MediaPortal.xml.bak - in that same folder. If that is the case you can try to rename MediaPortal.xml.bak to MediaPortal.xml and try starting MediaPortal. If that still fails then the backup file is also corrupted and you'll have to delete that file as well.
    If you don't have a backup or the backup is also corrupted then after deleting the files you'll be able to open MediaPortal Configuration and reconfigure all your settings. After reconfiguring you'll be able to open MediaPortal.

Regards,
    mm

• Like Like x 1
  4. McNiall

McNiall Portal Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 1
    Home Country:
    Australia Australia
    Show System Specs
    Bingo! That was it.

the xml.bak file was a default/vanilla config, but I'm fairly certain I have a recent backup. I'll try finding that and using it instead.

Thanks for your help! :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. mm1352000
    • Team MediaPortal

mm1352000 Development Group

Ratings:
    +8,205 / 17
    Home Country:
    New Zealand New Zealand
    No problem. Happy to help any time. :)

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!