MediaPortal2 : uPNP, DNLA ? (1 Viewer)

Mike Lowrey

Portal Pro
February 4, 2009
Berlin
Home Country
Germany Germany
MP2 is about plugins for everything and since you already have experience with DLNA, why don't you start a plugin on extending the implemented UPNP with DLNA compability?

zicoz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't such a function need a on-the-fly transcoder? Isn't the file-type support rather limited in DLNA?

Mike Lowrey

Portal Pro
    February 4, 2009
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Let's say it this way: One way is to only expose files which are supported by DLNA specification or another way would be to implement on the fly transcoding.

Mr. S

September 24, 2011
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Re: MediaPortal2 : uPNP, DNLA ?

MP2 is about plugins for everything and since you already have experience with DLNA, why don't you start a plugin on extending the implemented UPNP with DLNA compability?
    If I have too much time, I can try.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't such a function need a on-the-fly transcoder? Isn't the file-type support rather limited in DLNA?
    Yes, but this is a server function.

skandy

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 23, 2006
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    You pay to be certified as a DLNA compliant device/software, meaning that you are allowed use of the DLNA logo, make your stuff as DLNA compliant etc.

THE STANDARD IN ITSELF IS FREE and the specs can be downloaded from UPnP Specifications » UPnP Forum .

Then you just label the resulting software as having "upnp support" or "PS3 support", instead of saying that it is "DLNA compliant".

Smeulf

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 27, 2010
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Yes the UPnP standard specifications are free. MP2 already implements UPnP for the communication between the client and the server.

But having a UPnP software doesn't mean DLNA.

To be fully DLNA compilant, a software must also implement UPnP AV (not done yet), and DTCP-IP (Digital Transmission Content Protection).

UPnP AV should'nt be a big problem (?), but I think that DTCP capabilities won't never be implemented: it requiries a licence, and IIRC there is a non-disclosure clause, wich means it might be difficult to implement it in a GPL software...

[Edit] Unless someone write a closed sources plugin... But it won't be me :p [/Edit]

Thanks anyway :)

Cheers.

skandy

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 23, 2006
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    Serviio DLNA media server IS A FREEWARE DLNA media server that implements DLNA, works fine with DLNA compliant devices, maybe you can contact the developer , as probably specifiation was obtained free of charge.

longkerdandy

Portal Member
    July 21, 2008
    Hi Guys, I'm used to be a MP1 translator

And now I'm working on a JAVA based UPnP/DLNA server project for a while.
    It also provides a medialibrary and tanscoding.
    I wondered if MP2 client can connect to my server.

DLNA is nothing but some extensions on UPnP standard.
    MP2 client don't even need that to work with a standard DLNA server.

But UPnP/DLNA itself is bad designed, I think it need some additional extending to work smoother.
    Like subtitle support, customer catlog.

Can I join MP2 developing to make the client compatible with my servre?

My code: https://github.com/longkerdandy/chii2 (still under developing)

Albert

MP2 Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 18, 2008
    Freiburg im Breisgau, Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Re: MediaPortal2 : uPNP, DNLA ?

Hi Guys, I'm used to be a MP1 translator

And now I'm working on a JAVA based UPnP/DLNA server project for a while.
    It also provides a medialibrary and tanscoding.
    I wondered if MP2 client can connect to my server.

DLNA is nothing but some extensions on UPnP standard.
    MP2 client don't even need that to work with a standard DLNA server.

But UPnP/DLNA itself is bad designed, I think it need some additional extending to work smoother.
    Like subtitle support, customer catlog.

Can I join MP2 developing to make the client compatible with my servre?

My code: https://github.com/longkerdandy/chii2 (still under developing)

Hi longkerdandy,
    we're always looking for good devs for MP2.

MP2 already contains a UPnP library which provides the UPnP infrastructure components. Based on that components, UPnP devices and services can easily be developed. I plan to add UPnP/AV support, but it needs time to implement that. That's why I didn't do it yet.
    Maybe you want to take a look at that library. You can also look into the MP2 UPnP devices in the projects MediaPortal.UI and MediaPortal.Backend to see how devices/services are written based on our UPnP library.
    UPnP/AV server functionality should then be added by a plugin in the MP2 server solution.

Albert

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom