MediaPortal's resume playback occasionally fails. (1 Viewer)

Marienkind

Portal Member
April 10, 2012
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Lately, I've been having this annoying problem. When I want to get back to watching a video (usually an anime episode) from the last point in time I stopped it, MediaPortal closes it out and marks it as watched. Making me have to start over and manually go back to that point in time. What could be causing this? It's just one of the video related issues my PC has been having recently. The other being stream videos on sites like YouTube not having sound (occasionally).

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Are the "points in time" close to the end of the video? ...like within 10 or 15%?

Marienkind

Portal Member
    April 10, 2012
    Home Country
    Okay, I'll do that the next time it happens. But it's not a 'crash' per say, the video just stops as if it reached the end then goes back to navigation mode where you pick a file to play.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Okay, I'll do that the next time it happens. But it's not a 'crash' per say, the video just stops as if it reached the end then goes back to navigation mode where you pick a file to play.
    Did you read the wiki page I linked? ;)
    The watchdog can be used to collect bugs for any problem, not just crashes. That's because it collects logs when MP is closed - whether that be via a crash, or when you close MP normally.
    1. Start MP using the watchdog with option 1.
    2. Start a video.
    3. Stop the video.
    4. Start the video again. Based on your description of the problem we expect the video to start from the start, rather than from the place it was stopped.
    5. Stop the video.
    6. Close MP.
    7. The watchdog will collect logs and system info into a zip file.
    8. Post/attach the zip file.

Marienkind

Portal Member
    April 10, 2012
    Home Country
    Okay, I hope I did this right.

I recreated the problem with "World God Only Knows S3 - 01.mkv"

I've looked at it myself and noticed I needed to delete that old playlist that keeps trying to play and disable auto-load. Didn't know MP was doing that. >_>

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    So to be clear:
    1. You started the video... but it stopped immediately.
    2. You started the video again and let it play for ~10 seconds.
    3. You stopped the video.
    4. You started the video again and it resumed correctly.
    5. You stopped the video and closed MP.
    ...and the problem is step 1. MP should have just played the video.
    Is that right?

Marienkind

Portal Member
    April 10, 2012
    Home Country
    I started the video, skipped ahead about 5-15 minutes from point zero, stopped it. Tried to resume and mediaportal closed it. I then closed MediaPortal because that's pretty much the issue I've been having. However, it seems to close out videos randomly when I start them from the beginning too. I could make a .gif of it happening if that helps.

This is what happens when you try to play a different file with the same filename and folder path in mediaportal. For example, if I replace a 1080p encode with a 720p encode and keep the same filename and folder path, MP will think it's the same file right? But what happens if the video's length is a little different? MediaPortal will close the video if I try to resume from where I left off on the 1080p version.

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Oh, okay - I see. The 10 seconds I was seeing was actually 12 minutes. Sorry about that. :oops:
    I'm not sure exactly what is going on there, but I guess it could be a splitter issue of some kind.
    When was the last time you updated the LAV codecs? ...or installed any media software? ...or updated your GPU driver?

P.S. You're using quite an old version of MediaPortal. That makes it a bit tough to help you. If this turns out to be a MediaPortal problem, chances are it has already been fixed in later versions. In that case you'd need to upgrade to get the fix.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom