MediaWebPortal --- 1.1.1 --- 12-04-2010 (1 Viewer)

joz

Portal Pro
March 17, 2008
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Re: The perfect browser homepage --- UPDATE beta2

Another little update round, mostly IE fixes, see first post.

Changelog:
- IE uses black glow for better readability of numbers. Similair but different to the way firefox displays it
- IE now also handles numeric navigation
- At least IE and FF now work with the numpad as well.

Everything's tested on FF 3.6 and IE 8 only

Poko

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 1, 2007
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Re: MediaWebPortal --- beta3 --- 23-03-2010

Joz, this looks fantastic! Just downloaded it, and will test it out today.

Thanks very much for this. I think that this was the last thing missing on my most wanted feature list :)

joz

Portal Pro
    March 17, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands

Hey Poko,

I'm glad you like it! Mentioned it before but I think it's now stable enough to have additional features implemented, so if you think of any... Here's what I thought of myself so far;

1) Implement a configurable waiting duration on numeric navigation so multiple numbers can be received (I guess defaulting to a second or something, then what it has received so far will be triggered, if exists). The numbers you entered will be visible somewhere.

2) Implement google search. Make it as accessible as possible, maybe implement T9 support? Haven't found any T9 Javascript/JQuery plugins so I'd have to get there from scratch but I think it won't be too difficult. Haven't done that much with those google search boxes, dunno if T9 is possible, should be.

3) Add an RSS ticker somewhere maybe if I can make it look half decent. Already have one on my homepage but that´s been there for ages and the JS behind it sucks a bit hard so I guess looking for something new first. the HTML <marquee> tag's just too ugly animation wise. Also would have to figure out some AJAX to have a generic way to get and parse a feed, could be a bit complicated as well.

If no one else comes up with something that I like more then I'm gonna go with number one for now.

p.s.
    Performance is no big issue for me since my boxes are powered enough but if there are people that use this on low end machines and have issues I can look into it. I feel till now it's performing really quite good for javascript so I hope/think this is not an issue yet.
    Could always consider releasing a lite version if needed.

p.s.2
    Javascript source (unpacked) is available only by PM request and only when considering contribution to the project (so when applying by PM you can explain yourself). Which reminds me of looking for some GNU licensing stuff.

Poko

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 1, 2007
    Home Country

Joz, what am I doing wrong?

Your portal works perfectly if I just open index.html in a web browser. I mean, perfectly!

However, within MP, it doesn't.

Here's what I have done. The webbrowser plug-in will not allow a file location, so I have put the index.html (plus the js files) on a web server on my network.
    (I have tried this location in a normal webbrowser, and it still works fine)

However, when I run up MP, and choose the webbrowser plug-in, it finds the page just fine, with the icons, etc.
    However, keyboard/remote control navigation does not work (the centre icon is highlighted), but mouse navigation does.
    If I hover over the icon I want to use (which becomes highlighted), and either click or press enter, nothing happens.

I've tried IE, Firefox and Chrome and they are all the same.

Like I said, it works perfectly in a normal browser window, but not in the webbrowser plug-in of MP.

Any ideas?

joz

Portal Pro
    March 17, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands

hmm, I have to look into that.
    The web browser plugin probably already has other functions assigned to the buttons (like enter left/right etc) and does not elegantly pass this to the browser so I am able to handle it through javascript.
    I am not using the browser plugin since I didn't find it that usefull. I just launch firefox with multishortcut, basicly the same (but it has other additional stuff) as the browser plugin does.

I will however look into this when I have time and see if my hunch is correct and if there's anything to do about.

Poko

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 1, 2007
    Home Country

Ah, so how do you use your portal then?
    Within MP, or before you launch MP?

What I am getting at is, is your portal integrated in some way into MP, or is it completely stand alone?

joz

Portal Pro
    March 17, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands

no it is integrated, it is the same as how you use it except I just use multishortcut and not the browser plugin.
    I press my internet button in MP and firefox is launched by multishortcut. As I said before, that is what the browser plugin does but has an additional autohotkeyscript to capture button presses to do some actions when certain buttons are pressed (which you can also recreate yourself with autohotkey or eventghost, last one is my fav, that's why I do not use the browser plugin I guess).
    That last bit is most likely causing you troubles and I think (although have not checked) there's not much to do about. But I'll check it out myself and see.

joz

Portal Pro
    March 17, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands

Hi userjan,

Sure I can, here´s a step by step guide;

1) download multishortcut
    2) Download the FF plugin called "AutoHide". This plugin will let you start FF in fullscreen with the "-fullscreen" argument as well as providing additional functionalities.
    3) Read the instructions provided by Multishortcut plugin and set it up for firefox.
    4) add -fullscreen as an argument to the multishortcut you have created

p.s.
    It's nothing more then a website that can be run on any PC with a webbrowser (hopefully, bit of a bold statement since I tested it only on my 2 windows PCs).

p.s2
    I will review my own instructions/readme/TS since I guess it is not all that clear. Will be top prio for next release as well as testing/fixing (if possible) it with the browser plugin but for the last I have (as said before) a bad feeling.

joz

Portal Pro
    March 17, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands

I was just testing the browser plugin, now here's what I've found.
    The browser plugin created by Edsche does not work for my homepage.
    The firefox integrator plugin (which I thought poco meant but I get him now) does work.
    The problem with Edsche's webbrowser plugin is that it is launched on top of mediaportal, MP does not get suspended while executing that plugin. In that way MP will still capture all button presses and as it seems it is not passed on to the browser. Nothing for me to do about.

So for any users, it wil only work with either the firefox integrator plugin or the way I described my own setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom