MediaWebPortal --- 1.1.1 --- 12-04-2010 (1 Viewer)

Poko

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 1, 2007
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Re: MediaWebPortal --- beta3 --- 23-03-2010

Ok, thanks for the info Joz.
    Shame, but can't be helped. Not your fault :D

adam_purkis

Portal Pro
    May 10, 2008
    Home Country

i would really like to get this working as it seems like a cool idea.. but im having problems just getting firefox to work nicely at all using multishortcut plugin.

ive set it up, and added the argument -fullscreen.

im using streamedmp, with basichome, and when i launch firefox using the menu item, it pops up onto google (my homepage for testing..) but it seems like i can't use it properly unless the mouse is visible.

what happens is that the mouse cursor seems to disappear, and when i type letters nothing happens, as though firefox is actually in the background, but it clearly isnt. if i keep moving my mouse around so it is visible, i seem to be able to use the keyboard normally, and the keys get sent to firefox rather than presumably mediaportal. i had a similar problem using a different 'webbrowser' plugin, does anybody know what i am doing wrong?

thanks!

joz

Portal Pro
    March 17, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands

Hey adam_purkis,

Not sure yet, but the first thing that pops into mind is that you have not configured (and I did not say anywhere, so my fault ;)) multishortcut to suspend MediaPortal when pressing the internet multishorcut button. I think I had similair focus issues when I hadn't set it up that way.
    Although you say that MP is not catching (and hogging) the button presses, I guess they are for a reason also not send to firefox (but maybe to windows desktop or something).

[webdev-nerd-talk]
    The OS might be of influence here (I'm on windows 7 x64). It could also be a bug in the javascript cause I have to focus the DOM document on startup. ATM this is triggered directly on body load but I run my own custom version (integrated into my server console) where I have a timer that triggers this after half a second. Might help for you too (I do this to get correct focus on an iframe so different issue/cause)
    [/webdev-nerd-talk]

I will try to reproduce the issue, hopefuly tonight and report back here. If I find time tonight I will write a foolproof manual for it. Feedback on that one would also really be appreciated. I am kinda bad @ documenting stuff that's really obvious to me as a webdev

--- EDIT ---

Tried reproducing just now but I am unable too. adam_purkis can you provide me with the following;

- MP version (I am on MP 1.1 RC1)
    - OS
    - Firefox version (might make a difference not sure)
    - Does it work like it should when you just double click the file? You should not need to do anything in order to have the keyboard respond (so no mouse movement or whatever)
    - Your multishortcut settings. See the attached image for an example
    - Internet access should be available (obviously, why use it when there is none :)) because I decided to use google's hosted JQuery. I could also include JQuery but I see no strong need for that atm.
    - Do you run any Firefox plugins that might capture button presses? Especially the arrows and numeric keys are important for this website's use.
    - When launching google.com instead of my website/plugin thingie (with the multishortcut way from within MP) does the problem also occur? google.com should have focus on the searchbox upon loading. So you should be able to start a search with just a keyboard and nothing else.

And also if you have run any other beta's of this website then please be sure to clean your BROWSER cache!!! (not MP cache) I will fix the caching issue with next release.

Finally I have checked if the problem occurs when you have not set "hide mp while executing" to TRUE. This was my hunch and as it seems it is incorrect. Please provide me with above mentioned details. If all is fine (especially the multishortcut settings) are you willing to be my Guinea pig? I can cook up a new "main.js" with a possible fix but that really is a shot in the dark as I'm not certain of the cause.

---EDIT2---
    Reread adam_purkis's post just now and I think I misread it the first time around (probably a little too quick, as usual :)).
    It seems you have issues with your system setup and window focussing. Probably some software you run. Any mouse tools installed, something like logitech mouse tool (what is it called again)? I would search in that direction from what I get from your post.
    Again, sorry but I can't fix this with a website :) Since I'm not experiencing the same here it must be something that's different between our systems.

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
      Untitled-1.jpg
      113.8 KB

joz

Portal Pro
    March 17, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands

And there you have the first draft of documentation.
    I feel there's not enough changed yet for a release, so more to come soon.

I am sorry if I can't provide any more stable or generic solution for users who have trouble. Most of these issues are issues that are not related to webprogramming but reside in either MP plugin handling or some other system specifics.

adam_purkis if you find some more info regarding your issue please, please enlighten us. Will save me some bughunting which is not reproducable on my side.
    I would urge other users to do the same! If you had problems, you found a solution, please share and help me out here :)

---EDIT---
    Forgot about mentioning how to edit the config.js file and adjust the portal to your liking. Noted now, will be revised for upcoming 1.0 RC1

---EDIT2---
    Removed attachment, included with latest beta

adam_purkis

Portal Pro
    May 10, 2008
    Home Country

thanks for some of your ideas, i dont have chance to have another look at it for the moment, but you might be onto something with the logitech mouse program, i know i have that installed since im using a wireless keyboard and mouse, so that MAY have something to do with it.. but havent tried yet.

also, like you said, just to confirm though, i have the same problem when i set google as the homepage, so it isnt really to do with your plugin i guess. i have had the firefox integrator plugin work well in the past, but since updating mediaportal i never reinstalled it (or something like that), so i might just try uninstalling all my firefox addons that arent necessary (like flash and stuff) and try again, and i will also try reinstalling the multishortcut plugin and see if i can get it working.

i probably wont get to mess around with it for a couple of days, so ignore me for now haha

thanks for your help and ideas though! and maybe if anyone else can let me know if they are using the logitech software and it works ok? just to eliminate that as the cause.

thanks though :)

joz

Portal Pro
    March 17, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands

thanks for some of your ideas, i dont have chance to have another look at it for the moment, but you might be onto something with the logitech mouse program, i know i have that installed since im using a wireless keyboard and mouse, so that MAY have something to do with it.. but havent tried yet.
    For now this is my best bet. I know logitech software can be dodgy like that from times, I think I stopped using it for some other weird reason (edit:which I remember now, prevention of standby in win 7 :)). I can imagine though you need it for your setup. You could try disabling some logitech services and then reboot?! that way you do not need to uninstall the whole logitech software package just to test.
    also, like you said, just to confirm though, i have the same problem when i set google as the homepage, so it isnt really to do with your plugin i guess.
    That is correct. If Google's not working my portal won't work either, added this to the troubleshooting part of the manual.

joz

Portal Pro
    March 17, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands

Wanted to go with an RC but I changed my mind and went with another beta instead.
    I added new features to numeric navigation which might still have bugs, who knows, see first post (also added changelog to TS now). I left beta3 which seems pretty stable to me just in case. Oh my, I'm bad with versioning :)

joz

Portal Pro
    March 17, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Re: MediaWebPortal --- beta4 --- 30-03-2010

Upcoming RC1 release is going pretty smooth.
    I was searching for JQuery feed readers and it seems there are tons of plugins available, it is now the search for the best suitable. I thought it might be more complicated so I set it for 1.5 but probably will push it forward to 1.1

I got the number display quite nicely worked out now. Still pondering on if I should not incorporate the zero key somehow (now it starts from 1 and up), maybe I'll keep that one as my secret weapon, like focusing google search or something cooler :) Dunno yet.

p.s.
    I forgot to fix the caching issue I think with beta4, will definitely be part of RC1.

---UPDATE---

RC1 out now! enjoy !

---EDIT---
    Just a bit curious if anyone is using this really. It seems like only me talking here and actually using it (besides some friends who use it in a non-htpc way) :(
    If you wanted to use it but something hold you back you can also post. If you do not see any need for it or you miss too much specifics of your standard homepage, post away.
    Thought there would have been more "need" for this in the community

joz

Portal Pro
    March 17, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Re: MediaWebPortal --- 1.0 RC2 --- 02-04-2010

Upped RC2 fixing couple browser bugs.
    Ofcourse I was too shorsighted with the RSS ticker functionality which cannot be implemented in a pure javascript way because of crossdomain security restrictions.
    Too bad, scrapped of the roadmap.

Poko

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 1, 2007
    Home Country
    Re: MediaWebPortal --- 1.0 RC2 --- 02-04-2010

Joz, I would love to use it, but I don't want to shell out of MediaPortal to an external program. The problem for me is multishortcut, and not your portal. I love your portal, and if it was possible to use that WITHIN Mediaportal, I would use it all the time.

Now, if you were to write your own plug-in that launched your portal inside MP, THAT I would use! In fact, I would go so far as to say that I would use it in preference to the Webbrowser plug-in AND the Online Videos plug in!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom