Meedio refugee (1 Viewer)

siberian

May 10, 2006
Hi all, I may be a Meedio refugee soon and had a pretty specific question about MediaPortal. the answer is probably 'no, your insane' but hey, you have to try :)

Does MediaPortal support multiple instances running on the same hardware? I have an overpowered Media PC with multiple Audio and Video outputs. It would be great to have two instances running on the once box, each mapped to different output sources and responding to different IR codes.

This makes sense in the context of my home which is wired for full home a/v distribution (any input in 0 or more outputs). This would allow me, for example, to listen to music in my office and the bedroom while TIVO is on in the living room. A 3rd instance would let my son watch DVD's in his bedroom as well :)

Yes, I could have more front-ends and use MythTV or I could just have multiple HTPCS (I do this today actually) but its loud, annoying and just plain ole inefficient.

I'd be interested in anyones thoughts on this.

John-

Callifo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 7, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Home Country
    That 'no, your insane' answer is looking pretty sweet right now ;)

Apart from the fact MP will only map to one set of outputs at this stage, it also will only run well on the primary monitor which is a limiting factor when you want run 3 of them I assume, each on their own monitor. It also cant determine which program you want certain IR codes to control.

You wont be able to get DX acceleration on all 3 seperate screens (The desktop stretched across 3 monitors might work but you still have the other problems).

siberian

May 10, 2006
    Yea thats pretty much what I figured. I was hoping for a simple config file where I could map my IR, outputs etc. That was the track I was working on with meedio (worked for Audio but not video which was almost ok).

Thanks for the quick response, time to play with it a bit.

Crazy John-

Callifo said:
    That 'no, your insane' answer is looking pretty sweet right now ;)

Apart from the fact MP will only map to one set of outputs at this stage, it also will only run well on the primary monitor which is a limiting factor when you want run 3 of them I assume, each on their own monitor. It also cant determine which program you want certain IR codes to control.

You wont be able to get DX acceleration on all 3 seperate screens (The desktop stretched across 3 monitors might work but you still have the other problems).

NLS

Portal Pro
    April 26, 2006
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    This would probably need a foundation change in any HTPC program I know.

I am not sure how you partialy did this with Meedio (I also come from there, not looking back at all).

siberian

May 10, 2006
    Meedio would launch with a -f flag at command line dictating where its config file would live. In that config file -certain- things were specified while other things lived in the registry.

So, anything in that config file could be overridden and some of those values were useful for this like 'what screen do movies play on' and 'what screen does the UI live on' etc. Meedio was pretty good at addressing multiple displays.

But thats neither here nor there, its a new world and I need to fit into it ;)

John-

NLS said:
    This would probably need a foundation change in any HTPC program I know.

I am not sure how you partialy did this with Meedio (I also come from there, not looking back at all).

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    toddbailey

I hope you are having better luck with MP than I am.

Everyone's idea of what the perfect htpc software varies, recently tried gbpvr and could not get my head around it.
    Have also tried MCE which also nice and easy setup, but after using for a few frustrated hours, found it would not do what I wanted it to do.
    Maybe I have been around MP for to long, but in my experience and with the hardware I have, nothing matches it.

Hope that any problem's you have, can be fully answered in the near future.

Regards

toddbailey

Portal Pro
    April 25, 2006
    Pac NorWet
    Stability, stability, stablility

I sure it will be forthcoming.

I demo'd the product and it's too unstable at this point.
    But 12 hours total isn't enough time to fully evaluate the product.
    I'm still trying it out and I want to give the product a fair examination. Any bugs or strange behavior I witness get's logged.
    But until I can get a good and stable config, I'm stuck (unfortunantly) with Meedio. :(

NLS

Portal Pro
    April 26, 2006
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    this IS strange because I haven't had a single main program failure yet

toddbailey

Portal Pro
    April 25, 2006
    Pac NorWet
    Really, I can crash and burn on demand.
    I'd consider yourself very lucky or cautious.

Either way you may have found an alternative to Meedio.
    I wish I could be so fortunante..

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom