viking1

Portal Member
September 12, 2008
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
I'm planning for at Mediaportal based HTPC with:

MOBO: Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H
CPU: AMD Athlon64 X2 4850E 2.5Ghz

and need suggestion for memory. I have looked many places, but most users use PC2-6400 Memory although I think that PC2-8500 (1067 MHz) can be used as well. The MOBO seems to support it but I'm not quite sure about the 4850e CPU.

Does anyone know:

1. will PC2-8500 work better/faster in this setup ?
  2. how much faster will it be ?
  3. also, - will I gain a lot by going from a CL5 to CL4 memory in this setup ?

The price for the faster memory is almost double up, so I need a fair performance increase to make it worthwhile.

doornjoostje

Portal Pro
December 6, 2007
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
There a a lot of problems with this 1066 Mhz memory and this motherboard, there is specific 1066 Mhz memory that you can use, please look at the gigabyte website. U use 800 Mhz without any problems.
2ndly, when i started my computer and installed vista it told my that i have only 1 GB (i bought 2x 1GB), i needed to switch the bench.
3rd, only use the drivers provided on the gigabyte website (don't use ati catalyst for example), but if you have problems then try. This should prevent you a lot of issues.

I can't tell you how much 1066 is quicker.
Also check this:
https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/htpc-projects-42/migration-amd-690g-780g-40706/

pilehave

Community Skin Designer
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2008
    Hornslet
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    I have 4 x 1 GB 800 MHz running in dual-mode. I don't think the few percent increase in memory performance, is worth the very high price. I also use a 4850e, and I think the faster memory will only show it's full potential with a Phenom processor, which again is much more expensive and uses a lot more power (heat).

viking1

Portal Member
    September 12, 2008
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Thank you for your comments. I'm going to re.read your postings at the forum as I can see that you have been the whole way thrugh. Mange tak

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom