Menu sounds randomly don't play, videos are fine (1 Viewer)

FireAza

Portal Pro
June 30, 2011
I've got this odd issue with MediaPortal. You know those clicking sounds that play when you navigate the menu? On my setup, sometimes those will play, sometimes they won't. To be clear, when I start MediaPortal, the sounds will either be there when I navigate, or there will be silence. The videos are fine though, they play their audio when I start one.

I suspect my HDMI might be the cause, when I plug my headphones into the headphone jack on my PC, the menu sounds play every time.

Let me explain to you how my PC is setup. I use this both as a regular PC and a HTPC, with a regular DVI monitor and HDMI Plasma TV both plugged into one of my GTX 570s. This HDMI cable is plugged into a Pioneer AV receiver, which has another HDMI cable that goes to the TV. I've got Windows configured so that when I turn my TV and AV receiver on, focus is taken away from my PC monitor and given to my TV. The HDMI-out from my GTX 570 is also made the default audio device.

Any idea what's causing my problem? While it's annoying that I don't hear the navigation sounds, the main reason I want them is because my AV receiver seem to go to sleep when there's no audio being played for a long period. Without the menu sounds, I lose about a second of audio at the start of a video, before the audio kicks in. With the menu sounds, this doesn't happen.

I don't think this "sleeping" is the cause of my problem, as holding down one of the navigation directions (i.e producing a long, continual sound) doesn't cause the audio to appear.

josh.oram

Portal Member
June 6, 2012
Forster, New South Wales
Home Country
Australia Australia
I am also experiencing this issue as well. From memory it only started when i upgraded to MP 1.4.0. I never had an issue before this.

I am using ffdshow raw audio along with reclock for audio PP, but i was also using this codec setup in 1.3.0 with no dramas. I have also started getting an issue with menu sounds and FF\RWD cause skips and pops in the audio track playing, eg if i back out to a menu with something playing, whenever I navigate the menus i get a stutter and pop each time i move up or down a menu. I recently installed an Asus Xonar DSX soundcard with the latest Uni Xonar Drivers so I'm not sure if that is what is causing the problem.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    HDMI handshake takes some time - GPUs close down the audio stream when no audio is played. The issue is same with OS sounds, not much what MP can do.

FireAza

Portal Pro
    June 30, 2011
    I am also experiencing this issue as well. From memory it only started when i upgraded to MP 1.4.0. I never had an issue before this.

I am using ffdshow raw audio along with reclock for audio PP, but i was also using this codec setup in 1.3.0 with no dramas. I have also started getting an issue with menu sounds and FF\RWD cause skips and pops in the audio track playing, eg if i back out to a menu with something playing, whenever I navigate the menus i get a stutter and pop each time i move up or down a menu. I recently installed an Asus Xonar DSX soundcard with the latest Uni Xonar Drivers so I'm not sure if that is what is causing the problem.
    I've been having this issue ever since I've been using MP.

HDMI handshake takes some time - GPUs close down the audio stream when no audio is played. The issue is same with OS sounds, not much what MP can do.
    True, but I don't think that's the problem since:
    A) Sometimes the sound works no problem.
    B) Holding down a navigation button to create a stream of sound should re-open the audio stream.

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I've been having a simular issue since i switched to Windows 8. On Windows 7 this was never a problem, but since Windows 8 i hardly heared any navigation sounds.
    Installing the AVR Audio Guard fixed my issues ;)

When Video card manufacturers started including onboard sound devices with their products, for the first time ever it allowed computer users to get Audio and Video to their A/V receiver, through one cable without the need for an seperate sound card. However, with this new technology, came a new problem.

A/V receivers have to switch to the appropriate mode every time an audio stream is presented to them. This in itself isn't a problem, but in Windows, when the sound device is configured with more than two channels, the receiver has to switch modes every time Windows plays a system sound, a video in youtube, an mp3 in Windows Media Player etc. Because it takes the receiver time to switch modes, this leads to the first second or two of the sound being missed, which in the case of system sounds, often means the whole sound is missed.

Last edited:

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I've noticed this since i started using MPAR. I'm pretty sure it's related to exclusive mode.

Last edited:

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    it's not common, but I've only noticed it when using mpar this way. may be coincidence.

If you mean that UI sounds get "disabled" during video playback then yes, it is the exclusive mode that causes it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom