MePo 1.7.0 problems with codecs and ATSC CC (1 Viewer)

RonD

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • December 20, 2011
    SillyValley CA
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Decided to update from MePo 1.5.0 to 1.7.0, having problems getting codecs configured and using ATSC Closed Captions. With MePo 1.5.0 was able to get ATSC CC working with LAV 0.58.2 TV codec and CoreCC 20130727 in wiki. ATSC CC worked on both Win7 Desktop and Win8 Laptop system. See the following forum message and wiki link for more info.

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/closed-captioning-does-not-appear.120570/
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_MEDIAPORTAL_1/15_Customization/98_Localization/How_to_get_CC_in_ATSC//QAM_streams

On Desktop, did full MePo uninstall (remove everything), full MePo1.7.0/MySql5.6 install with LAV0.61.2. No problems during install, doing full MePo setup, channel scan, etc. Added TV-Series/Trakt and MePo works just like 1.5.0, no problems for live TV, RecordedTV, TV Series. Tried to enable ATSC CC with LAV and MsftDTV-DVD codecs, CoreCC 20130727 based on Wiki and 1.5.0, and don't get ATSC CC on live TV or already recorded videos.

During setup noticed MePo Client config had a TV mpeg2 = CoreCC option and gave it a try, see Config_CoreCC.PNG. With this option ATSC CC mostly works using TV mpeg2 = MsftDTV-DVD and CoreCC. Tested ATSC Live TV, Recorded TV, TV Series and all work. Don't see any way to configure LAV with CoreCC, not sure why MsftDTV-DVD is being used. default? codec priority? See ATSC_CC_720p.png.

This setup works for almost everything except for Live TV channel changes. If I flip press "0" between 2 channels that use 720p video no problems, flip between 2 channels that use 1080i no problems, both show ATSC CC. BUT if I flip between 2 channels that use 720p to 1080i or 1080i to 720p, the video pops into an "ActiveMovie" window and plays correctly. The MePo window goes black, shows subtitles, and the TopBar and OSD display if I move the mouse to the top or bottom of the black MePo window. If I press "!" the video stats start showing in the black MePo window. If I press "stop". The ActiveMovie window/video disappear, and the MePo windows show the correct MePo info, TV Guide, TV Home etc. I can then do all normal MePo functions, watch Live TV, etc.

This weird channel 720p/1080i switch problem happens with Titan or DefaultWide full screen on HDMI secondary display, full screen HDMI primary display, press "ALT-ENTER" to run MePo in a Window, watch video in TV Home. It only happens when switching between 720p/1080i. My win8 laptop MePo 1.7.0 system shows the same behavior but uses LAV mpeg codecs if I enable CoreCC.

The following is an example 720p to 1080i after I resize/move the ActiveMovie window to the MePo window. This started looking like ATSC_CC_720p.png then switched to a 1080i channel for 720to1080.PNG. If I keep flipping 720p/1080i, I get a pink ActiveMovie that shows subtitles. See 720p1080i_2flips.PNG for an example after resize/move ActiveMovie windows to the TV Home.

Attached zip/logs shows the following after clearing the MePo client logs. Started with TV mpeg2 codec = LAV, enable CoreCC and switch to TV mpeg2 codec = CoreCC. Start MePo Client, watch 720p Live TV with ATSC Closed Captions for a few seconds ATSC_CC_720p.png , switch to 1080i channel and get 720to1080.PNG problem. Press "stop", then exit MePo client.

Any idea what is going on or a way to cleanup this problem?

Attachments

• Config_CoreCC.PNG
      Config_CoreCC.PNG
      54.7 KB
    • ATSC_CC_720p.png
      ATSC_CC_720p.png
      1.3 MB
    • 720to1080.PNG
      720to1080.PNG
      1 MB
    • 720p1080i_2flips.PNG
      720p1080i_2flips.PNG
      1.1 MB
    • Example1_720to1080.zip
      57 KB
    Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Any idea what is going on or a way to cleanup this problem?
    Probably there is an issue with the graph structure. The graph is rebuilt on change of resolution, so the rebuilt graph is probably wrong somehow. Screenshots of the graph structure for the first and second channels required please. :)

By the way, that thread you linked... I thought one of the outcomes was that CC would only work with PDVD codecs?
    I also thought that you had to set the video codec as per your preference (ie. not the Core CC Parser) and enable CC by configuring it in post-processing. Why have you set CC parser as video codec?

RonD

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • December 20, 2011
    SillyValley CA
    Home Country
    In the other MePo thread, LAV 0.58.2 TV codec with the new(er) CoreCC 20130727 file worked with MePo 1.5.0 and I could watch live or recorded USA ATSC and see CC. This also worked with the Cyberlink PDVD codecs. Based on the CC wiki I was a little surprised LAV worked. The ATSC CC working configuration was
    VideoPostProcessing > CoreCC 20130727 = Enabled
    TV mpeg2 codec = LAV or Cyberlink PDVD

After updating to MePo 1.7.0, with LAV0.61.2 and using CoreCC 20130727, I hoped/expected ATSC CC would still work, but no luck. This configuration is also
    TV mpeg2 codec = LAV or MsftDTV-DVD

Not sure why CoreCC shows up as an option for TV mpeg2 codec. I don't remember seeing that in 1.5.0. See Config_CoreCC.PNG. But since the "wiki config" for 1.7.0 did not work I said WTF lets see what happens. I was even more surprised this worked at all and assumed somewhere in MePo 1.6.0 or 1.7.0 this was defined as the "new correct" config. This configuration works for most cases until I stumbled over the 720p/1080i weird^2 stuff on Sunday morning.
    TV mpeg2 codec = CoreCC but uses MsftDTV-DVD

Somewhere I downloaded/installed GraphStudio and looked at the working ATSC/CC config in the other thread. I'll have to find where I did this and get it setup again. The 1st question is why doesn't the "wiki config" work for 1.7.0 with LAV. Then what happens when I do the 720p/1080i switch. There is some other weird stuff going on my Win8 MePo 1.7.0 system.

This all goes back to rule #1, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" in this case upgrading from 1.5.0 to 1.7.0.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Not sure why CoreCC shows up as an option for TV mpeg2 codec. I don't remember seeing that in 1.5.0. See Config_CoreCC.PNG. But since the "wiki config" for 1.7.0 did not work I said WTF lets see what happens.
    We'd have to ask @Sebastiii but I certainly haven't seen any change that would intentionally do this. IMO configuring the CC codec as MPEG 2 video codec is incorrect. The fact that it [partially] works is probably pure luck/chance.

The 1st question is why doesn't the "wiki config" work for 1.7.0 with LAV.
    Like I said, my impression from the other thread was that LAV didn't work. In other words, your expectation that it would work is not necessarily realistic. There is a distinct possibility it was working with an older version [of LAV] and then broken. Obviously that would be outside our control.

Then what happens when I do the 720p/1080i switch.
    As per my earlier post, the graph structure probably changes. I expect you'll see this with GraphStudio.

This all goes back to rule #1, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" in this case upgrading from 1.5.0 to 1.7.0.
    With the greatest possible respect, one of the key requirements of being in the test group is willingness to try upgrades and patches early. The idea is that the test group would help the team to discover (and fix) such issues before public releases so people don't experience problems. Otherwise what point is there in having a test group?

RonD

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • December 20, 2011
    SillyValley CA
    Home Country
    Looked at the earlier MePo ATSC CC thread, after a number of twists/turns, my Win8 MePo 1.3.0 system worked with ATSC/CC. See msg 28 linked below. I updated system to 1.5.0 and ATSC/CC still worked. But after 1.7.0 update CC sort of works using the TV mpeg2 = CoreCC option
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/closed-captioning-does-not-appear.12057

Setup the graphstudio setup I was using on Win7 system in this thread. Did tests and grabbed graphs as shown below
    TV mpeg2 codec = CoreCC but uses MsftDTV-DVD

started with 720P, see CoreCC_720p.PNG, ATSC/CC works correctly

switched to 1080i, see problem shown above in 720to1080.PNG, see CoreCC_after1080i.PNG

switched to more normal config, below, ATSC/CC does not work, see MsftDTVDVD.PNG.
    TV mpeg2 codec = MsftDTV-DVD

the MePo video post processing has CoreCC enabled for all these tests, see VideoPostProcess.PNG

Attachments

• CoreCC_720p.PNG
      CoreCC_720p.PNG
      70.4 KB
    • CoreCC_after1080i.PNG
      CoreCC_after1080i.PNG
      47.9 KB
    • MsftDTVDVD.PNG
      MsftDTVDVD.PNG
      42.7 KB
    • VideoPostProcess.PNG
      VideoPostProcess.PNG
      80.1 KB

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    In all cases it is like MP doesn't treat CC parser as being enabled for post-processing.

started with 720P, see CoreCC_720p.PNG, ATSC/CC works correctly
    That is the correct graph structure.

switched to 1080i, see problem shown above in 720to1080.PNG, see CoreCC_after1080i.PNG
    Graph structure is incorrect. Two Core CC parsers. The second filter is obviously introduced by the graph rebuild (on channel change 720p => 1080i) and almost certainly triggered by the dubious MPEG 2 video codec configuration.

I'm not going to spend any more focus on this configuration unless somebody says this is the right way to configure things (which would imply there is a bug/issue).

switched to more normal config, below, ATSC/CC does not work, see MsftDTVDVD.PNG.
    Core CC is missing entirely from the graph => no chance of working.
    Please post log files for this scenario using debug-mode with option 1.

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Hi Guys :)

Will read better this night (for me) in 10 Hours from now but for sure CC Parser shoudn't be set as video decoder and only put in Post Processing :)

RonD

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • December 20, 2011
    SillyValley CA
    Home Country
    Will read better this night (for me) in 10 Hours from now but for sure CC Parser shoudn't be set as video decoder and only put in Post Processing :)

Well, I did a full MePo 1.5.0 uninstall, option 3 remove everything MePo, reboot, then a MePo 1.7.0 full "one click" with TV install, MySQL5.6. On 100% (2 of 2) MePo 1.7.0 systems I have CoreCC enabled as a mepeg2 codec option, see CodecConfig.PNG. Since this is true on 100% of MePo 1.7.0 systems it must be a feature not a bug. I thought it was strange, but when ATSC Closed Captions did not work with LAV, I figured I'd use the mpeg2codec = CoreCC "feature", almost works all the time. See the CoreCC codec option even if it is disabled in VideoPostProcessing. Do "regsvr32.exe /u cccp.ax" and mpeg2 codecs only show the other valid codecs. Do "regsvr32 cccp.ax" and I get mpeg2codec = CoreCC option again.

Attachments

• CodecConfig.PNG
      CodecConfig.PNG
      68 KB

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Hi :)
    Yep it show and i should remove that because Core CC Parser need to be connected to Video output pin (so after the video decoder)
    Core CC Parser surely need some rework to make it work with LAV Video.

So we need a Video codec and Core CC Parser in Post Process otherwise the graph will be not correct :)

RonD

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • December 20, 2011
    SillyValley CA
    Home Country
    Core CC is missing entirely from the graph => no chance of working.
    Please post log files for this scenario using debug-mode with option 1.

attached is the debug option = 1 logs. CoreCC registered and enabled.

also added copy of graph and screen snapshot, no ATSC CC as expected.

Attachments

• MsftDTVDVD_debug1.PNG
      MsftDTVDVD_debug1.PNG
      33.6 KB
    • 09-42-16.png
      09-42-16.png
      1.7 MB

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom