MePo not showing after resume but exists in task manager after upgrade to 1.4 (2 Viewers)

slikvik

Portal Pro
May 8, 2006
Hi,

Got a fairly consistent problem here that's causing all sorts of grief at home :confused: :confused:
Upgraded to 1.4 and things appeared to be OK. However it now seems to be the case that 8 times out of 10 when my wife wakes up the HTPC in the morning it just wakes up to the Windows 8 Desktop (not the Start Screen) with MePo nowhere to be seen?

When I VNC in, none of the desktop responds to clicks and the ClassicShell Start Menu flickers when I click it but doesn't pop-up. This appears to me that MePo is still "Always on Top" even though it's not visible anywhere. When I Ctrl Alt Del and load Task Manager, MePo is happily sitting in the list at 6% CPU but again I have no control because the invisible MePo has taken over.

I have to then Ctrl Alt Del and restart.

I've included logs but please note that I could only get these logs after the machine has rebooted, auto loaded MePo (now working fine) and the quit MePo.

EDIT: I wonder if the option to restart MePo on resume would fix the problem, but obviously that's been removed from 1.4 Final.

Last edited:

slikvik

Portal Pro
May 8, 2006
Sorry to be a pest but has anyone got any ideas? It's doing it every morning when we wake the PC from sleep. I don't really want to have to roll back to 1.3.

Could it be a Windows 8 update that would cause it? Do the logs only record up to the last reboot, in which case they wont have recorded any issues as I have to restart the machine before I can request the logs?

EDIT: I've also just noticed that the OK button on TV Server configuration doesn't work! Something weird is going on.

Last edited:

tachtevrenidis

Portal Pro
July 22, 2013
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I have a similar thing. After MePo blanks out my TV (due to inactivity) and the TV is turned off sometimes it does not come back. I press a key on my remote to wake it up and I see my windows wallpaper and the mouse cursor but no MePo client. The process seems to be running in the taskbar though. This happens maybe 1-2 out of every 10 times.

cyberfix

Portal Member
January 16, 2007
Home Country
I have been having this exact issue since updating from 1.3 to 1.4. I thought I had resolved it after I discovered that MP was set to start on the wrong monitor. Things seemed to work and load up after that, but a lot of the time coming out of hibernate the system is flickering with no visible MP. I found that if I go to my keyboard and do a ALT-F4 to kill the item with focus (MP) it will close and launching it again corrects the issue.

Also, I thought 1.4 was supposed to be quicker at loading plugins, it seems to be the same or slower than 1.3.

slikvik

Portal Pro
May 8, 2006
A bit more information:

I've discovered that if I then turn my Amp off for ten seconds and turn it back on (leaving the TV and HTPC untouched), when the display reappears MePo is back on screen! Unfortunately, 20% of the time it then comes up with a Media Portal has crashed message box in front of it.

So it's the same old HDMI handshake issue again which, in my case, is now worse than 1.3. With 1.3 I sorted my issue be doing the documented fix of VNCing in, disconnecting monitor and setting default res to 1080. After than I only had the odd crashed pop-up every now and then.

With 1.4 the handshake error is appearing in a different way with no obvious route to fix it. Not to mention the "restart mepo on wake" option has been removed.

cyberfix

Portal Member
January 16, 2007
Home Country

I don't see how it is related... I don't get a black window, I am not using the TV features, and actually it happens if my system is not using hibernate mode. I think has to do with having dual monitors. For instance, after seeing this post, I went and turned on my secondary side computer monitor that I use for maintenance and is usually off, and I could see MePo in all of it glory and it was responsive. I decided to turn on theater mode which means the Denon AVR2807 powers on along with my workhorse Sanyo Z5. As soon as the Denon fully powered on while waiting on Sanyo to warm up, MePo disappeared (appeared minimized) on the primary monitor. Normally I would try to click on it in the system tray and this causes it to go into a super flicker mode where it acts as if it is trying to come up on both screens very quick (or switching between screens of my duplicated not extended desktop). In this case after reading this thread again, I decided to turn off the receiver after MePo minimized and turn it back on. After this, MePo came back and functioned without issue. I am using HDMI to the receiver for the primary projector display, so this seems like a multi-monitor or HDMI handshake type of issue. I did not have this problem in 1.3 with the same exact setup. I did an in place upgrade and the problem started. Part of my issue was the display to use in MP seemed wrong in the configuration which I though was strange or maybe that is a new setting as I don't remember. This caused MP to have errors and not start up or be very very slow. If I can come up with any more details, I'll post them here. Thanks.

slikvik

Portal Pro
May 8, 2006
I appear to get the same issue as cyberfix.

• Running Windows 8
  • I'm only running a single monitor.
  • HTPC -> HDMI -> AMP -> HDMI -> TV
  • I do use TV features but they don't have to be active when sleeping to get the problem.
  • On resume I get Desktop, not blank screen. Happens 90% of the time now!
  • Invisible MePo still seems to have focus as all other desktop operations are inaccessible and start menu flickers, then disappears.
  • Turn off Amp for 10 seconds and then back on and MePo appears back on screen.
  • After doing this 20% of the time I then get a Mediaportal has crashed error.

I've attached a new log which was captured after waking, turning amp on/off and MePo coming back (with no crash).
I will try to attached a log with the crash at the end when I get a chance but that may be a separate issue.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    @Owlsroost
    Another one of these kinds of problems, possibly related to Intel GPU/audio.

@slikvik
    Can you please produce fresh log files, but give a bit more time between each action so we can clearly see the device remove/arrive events. So:
    1. Hibernate.
    2. Wait 2 minutes.
    3. Resume.
    4. Wait 2 minutes.
    5. Switch off amp.
    6. Wait 2 minutes.
    7. Switch on amp.
    8. Wait one minute.
    9. Grab log files.

slikvik

Portal Pro
    May 8, 2006
    I can do although I'm at work at the moment, but a few things:

I'm not hibernating, I'm going into S3 Standby.
    I am indeed using the onboard Intel GPU.
    The timings for the log file were as follows (from memory)...

Sleep
    Wait 8 hours (overnight)
    Resume
    Waited around 2 minutes
    Switch off Amp
    Waited around 15 seconds
    Switched on Amp
    Waited around 1 minute
    Exited MePo & generated logs.

I'll try and generate some more tonight. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom