MePo taking over the house, but I have a network issue! (1 Viewer)

ben1210

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 2, 2012
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Media Portal going into the kitchen and bedrooms after a succesfull insertion into the main TV in the living room.

So, I've installed MP onto a couple of netbooks for the kitchen and bedroom 1. Specced it up identical to main TV set up and has been pretty straight forward, I have though a couple of questions;

1. Netbook number 1 is an AMD E450 APU with Radeon HD Graphics 1.65Ghz. As a client TV unit all SD content plays sweet, however HD content stutters a lot and is really unwatchable, I'm talking live HD TV (BBC One HD) and recorded HD TV. I am using latest LAV filters for everything. I am attaching to the network wirelessly (However, I plan to change to hardwire ethernet).

Is this stutttering playback due to the limitations of the processor or mysetup and/or is there something I can do to get that HD content to work without issue?

2. I cant for the life of me get my tv series or moving pictures to get content from the main TV server machine - I assumed that in configs I should set the import path to grab from the main tv server location, but when I try I get the attached message

Any help greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
      Untitled-1.jpg
      41.2 KB

davidf

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 3, 2006
    Scotland
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    Not quite a random guess ;) - windows 7 will not allow access to shares by an account with no password, by default.

I can't quite remember where the setting is in control panel, but that should be enough to get the answer from google - and it only needs done on the server. If I remember correctly you can see the share on the server from the server but all the clients should show that error if it is this problem.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com.../thread/c9d395c5-2f11-4808-84cd-d00641301778/ gives the details

Last edited:

davidf

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 3, 2006
    Scotland
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    I think some others may have the radeon graphics, I can get it to work on my lowly nvidia ion at 720p (bbc hd), so I'm betting it's the wireless network or bad settings in the driver. Bbc had takes up quite a lot of bandwidth so the wireless connection will struggle.

P.s. apologies for spelling and capitalisation, but tablets are not the best for typing

LJG

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 3, 2012
    Home Country
    With regard to the stuttering, have you tried copying a recorded tv file to the hard drive in the client and seeing if it plays back okay there?

If it does, then you know it is a network issue.

ben1210

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 2, 2012
    Home Country
    Many thanks David, will try re-arming password on server and plugging in via ethernet. Will report back, thanks again.[DOUBLEPOST=1356908867][/DOUBLEPOST]
    With regard to the stuttering, have you tried copying a recorded tv file to the hard drive in the client and seeing if it plays back okay there?

If it does, then you know it is a network issue.

No I havent tried viewing a HD recorded tv file on local, but I will do and will report back ;)

porky996t

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Bolton, Lancashire, England
    Home Country
    England England
    Hi Ben,

I suspect that the stuttering in HD is a result of the wireless connection. In my experience of setting up my clients I found that full HD used about 38 Mbps network bandwidth but wireless streaming was still very poor. As others have suggested copy a HD recording to your clients local drive and fine tune
    your video codec settings with that.

Prior to installing a fixed netwotk I used the Ethernet Over Power wall plugs @ a speed of 200 Mbps and these worked great.

When setting up my server and clients, I made sure all had static IP addresses and that all were visible in the Win7 'Homegroup' and the folders containing Films and TVSeries were then shared under the folder properties. I set the Homegroup up using the server as the root machine.

ben1210

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 2, 2012
    Home Country
    Not quite a random guess ;) - windows 7 will not allow access to shares by an account with no password, by default.

I can't quite remember where the setting is in control panel, but that should be enough to get the answer from google - and it only needs done on the server. If I remember correctly you can see the share on the server from the server but all the clients should show that error if it is this problem.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com.../thread/c9d395c5-2f11-4808-84cd-d00641301778/ gives the details

You were right, I enabled password protection on the server computer and clients went straight in, thanks.

ben1210

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 2, 2012
    Home Country
    I just tried moving a .ts file onto local Atom client as suggested and it still stuttered, so I changed the H.264 codec in TV config from LAV filter to Microsoft DTV-DVD video decoder and hey presto runs fine.

Interestingly porky, live HD TV (BBC One HD) seems to be traveling through wireless fine from Server to Clients, which surprises me, although I will still be going down the ethernet route, I will be doing this through powerline as you suggest rather then a fresh ethernet cable install.

So, both clients set up fine and work same as the server machine all communicating over a standard network, I note you mention Homegroup - I've never touched this, what are the benefits of using it for MediaPortal over a standard network?

porky996t

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Bolton, Lancashire, England
    Home Country
    England England
    Hi ben,

I don't really know the benefits of using the Homegroup as opposed to 'normal' access. Whether there is more security as you can allow different sharing properties with the the Homegroup. I set my server up this way on the advice of another forum member who was rebuilding his server at the same time I built mine and it has worked really well with no sharing problems at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom