Micro stuttering (judder) with hd2600xt HW accelerated H.264 (2 Viewers)

pnyberg

Portal Pro
August 21, 2006
Stockholm
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
Ok, thanks.

And I suppose the "stuttering" I am describing you have never seen in Vista/EVR right? (Just to be sure don't wnt to spend too much time upgrading/reinstalling and then find out I still have the same issue.).

The things I use in MP is, TV (SDTV and h.264), Movies, Music, Photos, RSS News (and also waiting for DVB sub support).

Wasn't there an issue with data files in Vista (.xml) or whatever that needed to be changed when applying a new version/SVN?

Any other issue/problem with Vista?
My WAF isn't that very good just know.... so I wanna be sure it is worth while..

joystick

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 26, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Vista is running "in production"in my home, no config issues or something.

What I am sseing though is something related to the HD 2600 and MoBo combination I guess:
    When resuming from standby it is essential to have the TV switched on first, to get a picture.

This is no MP issue, though.

And:
    Vista is very Memory consuming

everything else makes no difference to XP (I just upgraded), at least for me.
    Oh I noticed, that upgrading the server is working better than in XP, where I had to customize the gentle.config every time.

DVB sub support

what do you mean?

pnyberg

Portal Pro
    August 21, 2006
    Stockholm
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    DVB subtitles I meant. Tourette and ziphnor is working on that - but I think there is no porblem with Vista regarding this.

Well thank you joystick for your input, I might just try to upgrade here in the near future.

:D

/Patrik

bigj

Portal Pro
    January 10, 2005
    Hi again... talking to myself here... :D
    :D

You're not talking to yourself.
    I'm interested in your experience with ATI 2600XT - since that is a decent upgrade path for me (and I guess many others).

Let us all know how you get on - if you find a solution for XP, or, if you upgrade to Vista how that works out.

BTW - is this an AGP card or PCI-e ?

Cheers,
    BigJ.

pnyberg

Portal Pro
    August 21, 2006
    Stockholm
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Hi, BigJ.

It is a PCI Express card. And as I said it is working awsome with HD outside MP (VMR9 bug?). And also SDTV is beautiful within MP.

I will take the Vista route later on. I will update this post with my experiences it will probably be next week or so.

Cheers.

pnyberg

Portal Pro
    August 21, 2006
    Stockholm
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Well some updates on my Vista experiences...
    Just did an in place upgrade of my XP SP2. When finished I noticed 100% CPU usage on one CPU core (Having X2 4200+). And everything I played was stuttering - both SD and H.264. :mad:

So did google for this error for days to no avail.... I finally downloaded the process explorer from MS/sysinternals - and finally got a clue to what is was. It reported that 49% CPU (100% 1 core) was Hardware Interrupts. I finally nailed it down to the onboard Audio Controller on the HD2600. Since I already have an Audio Card I disabled the
    audio controller on the HD2600 card. The tricky part was that the audio controller did not show up in the usual place in the device manager (under Sound & Game devices) but under the "System devices" - that is shy I didn't notice it in the first place...

After that I can report that the micro stuttering is gone with H.264 and with HW accelerated (using EVR), definitely an improvement over XP SP2.

But still... having slight stutter when enabling AC3 audio (using SPDIF out only) - but that is related to the Sound Card I believe... Anyone seen this perhaps?

Also having issues when playing DVD or movies - MP can't create graph just now - according to the log it seems it has problem connecting the audio pins or something - will need to investigate this further. (For info, it works good in WMP11 and PowerDVD so it is definitely some MP/Codec issue..).

Will mark this thread as fixed - (even if it is a workaround to upgrade to Vista imo).

geov

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 1, 2006
    Cape Town
    Home Country
    South Africa South Africa
    How were you able to identify the culprit, what do I look for (using Process Explorer) because I might have the same problem and don’t want to disable things unnecessarily?

pnyberg

Portal Pro
    August 21, 2006
    Stockholm
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Well, in my case I had under the "System Idle Process"-"Interrupts" a 49-50% CPU usage.

I did find some useful info via google though. I come up with an hint on that when sharing an IRQ you could end up with these kind of symptoms. So what I did was to open device manager and selected view "Resources by type".

It was there I found the audio controller device on an shared IRQ. Then I just disabled it - and voila my problem was gone. The thing is that I knew that the HD2600 contains an audio controller but the problem was that it did not show up under the "Sound, video and game controllers" section. It was "hidden" under the "System devices" - cause if I had seen the controller I had disabled right away.

Regards

bigj

Portal Pro
    January 10, 2005
    It was there I found the audio controller device on an shared IRQ. Then I just disabled it - and voila my problem was gone. The thing is that I knew that the HD2600 contains an audio controller...CUT
    Regards

Ah - I was going to suggest using dpclat which is good for detecting these issues!
    See this thread:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...d_frames-t14570.html?t=14570&highlight=dpclat
    But when you said it was PCI-e I thought, well, that doesn't share IRQs so it wouldn't be the issue....
    I don't know how the audio side of things enumerates through PCIe - how/what was it sharing with - a regular PCI device?

pnyberg

Portal Pro
    August 21, 2006
    Stockholm
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Oh, well the thing is that it didn't have anything to do with shared IRQ in the end.
    It was just my way of finding the audio controller on the HD2600 (so that I could disable it).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom