United States of America United States of America
Thanks much!

Some how missed the "this thread" option

Prsa01

Portal Member
March 3, 2020
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
WMC and MP can co-exist on the same PC, but they cannot share tuners. So if you wanted to test TV viewing and recording, you would need to install an additional tuner card for MP to use, or re-allocate your existing tuners.

For example, if you have a quad-tuner card, you could allocate tuners A and B to WMC, and allocate tuners C and D to MP. There are two problems with this:
  • You will have two fewer tuners for your ongoing WMC recordings while you are evaluating MP.
  • Re-allocating your tuners requires you to setup the tuners again in WMC, which (I think) will result in WMC discarding your existing recording schedule. :(
WMC and MP use different file extensions. WMC uses DVR-MS and WTV, while MP uses TS. There should not be a conflict if you want to use the same "Recorded TV" folder for both, but each program will (probably) display only its own files. (MP can play DVR-MS and WTV, but not from the "Recorded TV" folder).

I have a "Search" button near the top-right corner, but it will search all threads. I don't think that you can restrict the search to a single thread (is that what you wanted?).

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Thanks much for your reply!

I ultimately decided to do my MP2 testing on a different w10 pc and am finally getting back to it, so a couple of follow up questions :

Setup - 2 x dual tuner (1 connect, 1 extend) atsc ota; selected mediaportal during hdhomerun installation. Note: extend (first tuner defined) optionally compresses to mp4 in real time. Will try disable compression to see if that changes anything.

Sharing hdhomerun tuners - do I still have an issue sharing tuners with wmc and MP2 on separate pcs? If so, do I need my wmc pc off in order to test hdhomerun functionality on MP2?

Still in early testing. Seem to have xmltv guide import and mapping working but tuning to a channel gives blank blue screen.

I am continuing testing and searching the forums for hdhomerun setup threads.

Thanks again!

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    do I still have an issue sharing tuners with wmc and MP2 on separate pcs?
    We here in Europe have very little experience of network tuners, and I am sorry to say that I have zero experience of network tuners. :(

If this topic is not covered in the tuner's User Guide, you probably need to ask on the tuner manufacturer's forum whether it is possible for the same tuner to be used by different PCs at different times.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    Sharing hdhomerun tuners - do I still have an issue sharing tuners with wmc and MP2 on separate pcs? If so, do I need my wmc pc off in order to test hdhomerun functionality on MP2?
    Network tuners can be shared even on the same PC (done it often while testing different software, I'm using SAT>IP tuner that are similar to hdhomerun tuner but for European DVB). But you can not use them on both systems at the same time ofc.. Means if WMC is using a tuner (e,g, for a scheduled recording) MP can't use the same tuner at the same time and vice versa...

By the way, MP2 can import dvr-ms and wtv files as "recordings" and show them in TV area as if they were "native" recordings. But only if they are not encrypted. As far as I know it's possible that WMC could encrypt some recordings so they only are playable on the system where they are recorded. But I never saw such encrypted recordings myself, so it's only "third party knowledge"...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom