Ongoing mini-itx htpc: AOpen S120 / Zotac GeForce 9300-ITX (1 Viewer)

dcwp

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 9, 2006
    Astana
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Clever!

benjerry

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 26, 2007
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hi. I've installed the winxp and codecs.
    I did a stress test of the cpu. Temperatures are getting very high when I leave fan on 1000. About 76 degrees.
    Anyway, I dont plan to keep the cpu running on 100% 2500mhz. It looks like the gpu acceleration is working very well.

I did a test with some high def movies ~1920x816.
    ffdshow highest cpu use: 66%.
    coreavc 1.9.5 software only highest cpu use: 69%
    coreavc 1.9.5 CUDA acc. highest cpu use: 23% :)

coreavc + CUDA = working subtitles ;)

Some power consumption readings (averages). I don't know how accurate my measuring device is..

idle: 37 watt
    stress test: 66 watt
    hd movie Cuda acc: 47 watt

max measured: 68 watt

benjerry

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 26, 2007
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    No undervoltage tweaks possible in the bios. Also no multiplier can be set. Only way to get low clock seems to be changing the fsb. The minimum setting here is 400 (100x4), which results in 100 x 12.5 (e5200 multiplier) = 1.25GHz
    At this speed Hd movie + coreavc CUDA acc = ~37%

dcwp

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 9, 2006
    Astana
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Wow, those numbers are impressive. I'm always surprised when I see just what a difference a proper codec can make. Just out of curiosity, do you have temp numbers using these different configurations as well? Does the CoreAVC +CUDA translate into lower heat and noise? It seems like it should if it's placing less load on the processor.

EDIT: I reread your post above and I see you're posting power consumption as well. I suppose that pretty much answers my question about heat. THANKS!

benjerry

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 26, 2007
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hi. Project is on hold for the moment. I first have to finish the network and power infra structure in the room using the Tehalit walllbase system.

I've ordered the motion sensitive Gyration remote: Gyration
    Would be cool if it also could be used for simple point&click internetbrowsing without needing a keyboard.

R1ck

January 18, 2008
    No undervoltage tweaks possible in the bios.

Did you tried RMCLOCK or Cristalcpu to undervolt? It seems to be effective on amd boards to lower voltage even when the bios don't show it.

benjerry

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 26, 2007
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Is the fan oversized for the box? I think you will need to put a few grills on the side to let some air through

That's very well possible the problem. Also the shape of the cpu cooler doesn't seem very optimal to me for a semi passive cooling (some space between fan and cooler).
    However, I'm not going to make anymore changes if in normal conditions temps stay in the 50-60C range.

No undervoltage tweaks possible in the bios.

Did you tried RMCLOCK or Cristalcpu to undervolt? It seems to be effective on amd boards to lower voltage even when the bios don't show it.

This is an intel cpu/nvidia chipset board which is quite new. I've already tried both to see if I could change multiplier, but I had the trouble that they didn't recognised the new hardware. I didn't try any further.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom