miniPC's for the Client-Side? (2 Viewers)

overture

Portal Pro
January 3, 2006
Bangor
Home Country
The mini-ITX motherboard's look pretty cool. Has anyone used one of these for their HTPC set up?

EDIT: Actually - I just did a search a found that there are. Ignore this.

SteveC-MM

Portal Member
November 21, 2006
Home Country
Afghanistan Afghanistan
As an entry-level thing, I picked up a Compaq DeskPro SFF (slim form factor) PIII-933 with 512mb RAM for $40 from Ebay, and slapped in a $19 DVDROM from Newegg, added a $70 160gb IDE drive, and an older ATI card for $25 (also from Newegg) with TV+RCA out. No PVR capability (until I add a Hauppage card), but it plays DVDs, XViD AVI, and MPEG videos fine, does the slideshow fine, and streams internet radio fine.

With the purchase price of MediaPortal being $0, now I know I can get some more updated hardware and be satisfied. One advantage I see to buying an off-lease system from Ebay or other place is that the machine is in decent condition and I don' t have to spend time putting many core components (MB, CPU, etc) together.

The one thing I don't like about my bottom-end system is the chassis fan is audible when XViD AVIs play. I think I mighjt disconnect it and find another fan option....

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Check out the following: Shuttle XPC X100 Mini

Shuttle XPC X100 Mini

Looks like the video and CPU has enough horsepower and it is very small! From the info inside the article it appears to be a little pricey: The most basic model comes with Windows XP Home, an 80GB hard drive, a combo drive and no wireless for €1,073 (£725/$1,412).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom