missing wait cursor (1 Viewer)

Ste HCH

Portal Member
March 8, 2012
Home Country
Italy Italy
Hi,
in some cases user has to wait quite long to have any feedback from the system (> 5 secs). E.g. when selecting a TV channel for the first time it takes > 10 secs.
Same thing in lots of other use-cases (regardless of the plugin) - the system just seems to 'hang on'
I checked MS MC and it does the same BUT there is the classic wait animation telling the user that the system is doing something in response to his selection, etc.
Is it possible to add this wait animation or wait-cursor (e.g. if waitng time > 2 secs)?

This problem arose because I showed a MediaCenter with MP to a Top-Audio Shop. Feedback was very good (usability, richness of features, graphical layout and even sound quality) BUT the owner said customers just won't accept these pauses where nothing happens and there is no feedback. It seems like the system is not working properly. In fact the owner started clicking and clicking again on the remote thinking the system didn't get his command from the remote...
I am trying to make a commercial product out of it so any help would really be VERY appreciated (unfortunately this is a STOP issue).

Thanks a lot

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    So basically you'd like the development team to prioritise fixing this issue in their free time and for no money so that you can then sell a product with this installed and make money from their efforts?

Would that be a fair summary?

Ste HCH

Portal Member
    March 8, 2012
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    I was just asking if it is possible to add the wait-cursor (did not know that a fix was needed - as far as I know a fix, or workaround, etc may already be available - I just might be missing it).
    Furthermore I think it is a generic requirement - I helped a friend of mine (not a technical guy) to install MP (for free) and he noticed the same 'problem'...
    Honestly I thought that having a feedback from somebody who is selling Audio-Video would be interesting (at least it was for me)
    I did not say I would not make a donation after selling the first product ;)

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I was just asking if it is possible to add the wait-cursor (did not know that a fix was needed - as far as I know a fix, or workaround, etc may already be available - I just might be missing it).
    Furthermore I think it is a generic requirement - I helped a friend of mine (not a technical guy) to install MP (for free) and he noticed the same 'problem'...
    Honestly I thought that having a feedback from somebody who is selling Audio-Video would be interesting (at least it was for me)
    I did not say I would not make a donation after selling the first product ;)

Oh, feedback and comments on the shortcomings of MP are always welcome.

The ideal would be that there are no delays. It certainly isn't ideal that a wait-cursor NEEDS to be shown.

Unfortunately, the most common situations where you might need a wait cursor are things like channel tuning, and those are handled synchronously, so that with the current code, the cursor would be shown once but not animated, which would be even worse.

The delays are due to the various TV tuning hardware and we have no real control over those, apart from changing the tuning time-out in SetupTV.

For example, with the default (2 seconds?) if I try to tune to a channel that is not broadcasting, it will try all of my tuners before failing, which will be 10 seconds, but there is overhead on top of this, so it is not uncommon for MP to be unresponsive for 30 seconds. It's just one of those facts of life. I am sure we will continue to improve things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom