MKV Subtitles problems in Mediaportal (1 Viewer)

kszabo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 6, 2007
    Germany, Bayern
    Home Country
    Hungary Hungary
    Until you use MPC+HC decoder and try to play DXVA compatible video + external subtitles = black screen.

Yes, I use Cyberlink PDVD7 as h.264 decoder and ffdshow for xvid and divX. The mkvs I tested are encoded with xvid/divx/h264, audio mp3/aac, SD and HD up to 720p. I think I watch these without DXVA (at least if I activate subs).

MageMinds

Portal Pro
    January 29, 2007
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    My subtitles works with MKVs embedded or not. But I had to check the option that let Windows decide of the decoding path... That way, when it works in Windows Media Player it works in Media Portal. I use CoreAVC Codec and in ffdshow I had to disable the playback of x264. The subtitle option is enabled in Media Portal, then I can select the subtitle I want and even disable them using the remote without closing MP.

MageMinds

xppx

Portal Pro
    September 2, 2007
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Until you use MPC+HC decoder and try to play DXVA compatible video + external subtitles = black screen.

Not true anymore.

Have a look here: Thread Integration-mpc-hc-subtitles-engine-54130

I currently use MP 1.02 + MPC-HC decoder + DirectVobSub Engine
    + CoreAVC/CUDA + internal/external/mix-internal+external subtitles = works perfectly (no black screens or sync errors) and CUDA enabled.

Difference between DXVA and CUDA:

With the DXVA API (Microsoft’s DirectX Video Acceleration), you will be able to play high definition H.264 videos with negligible CPU utilization.
    But there are limitations with the DXVA method, and they are (amongst others):
    • Only certain renderers can be used depending on operating system (overlay mixer and VMR9 for Windows XP, Enhanced Video Renderer for Windows Vista/7).
    • Cannot decode videos that were encoded with numbers of reference frames that exceed certain levels (11 in nVidia GPUs, figures lower than that for ATI GPUs).
    • Cannot have any intermediate filters (such as ffdshow Video Decoder or DirectVobSub) between the video decoder and the video renderer.
    Now, with the release of CoreAVC 1.9 with CUDA (Compute Unified Device Architecture) support, you can eliminate the first and the third limitations, while increasing the threshold in the reference frame limit.​

hoborg

Portal Pro
    June 13, 2008
    Nový Jičín
    Home Country
    Czech Republic Czech Republic

Not true anymore.

Have a look here: Thread Integration-mpc-hc-subtitles-engine-54130

I currently use MP 1.02 + MPC-HC decoder + DirectVobSub Engine
    + CoreAVC/CUDA + internal/external/mix-internal+external subtitles = works perfectly (no black screens or sync errors) and CUDA enabled.

Difference between DXVA and CUDA:

With the DXVA API (Microsoft’s DirectX Video Acceleration), you will be able to play high definition H.264 videos with negligible CPU utilization.
    But there are limitations with the DXVA method, and they are (amongst others):
    • Only certain renderers can be used depending on operating system (overlay mixer and VMR9 for Windows XP, Enhanced Video Renderer for Windows Vista/7).
    • Cannot decode videos that were encoded with numbers of reference frames that exceed certain levels (11 in nVidia GPUs, figures lower than that for ATI GPUs).
    • Cannot have any intermediate filters (such as ffdshow Video Decoder or DirectVobSub) between the video decoder and the video renderer.
    Now, with the release of CoreAVC 1.9 with CUDA (Compute Unified Device Architecture) support, you can eliminate the first and the third limitations, while increasing the threshold in the reference frame limit.​

Nice, but useless for ATI users...

ToXIc

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 3, 2009
    Home Country
    sorry to bring this old thread back but i'm confused.
    im not really sure which option to use.

my setup consists of dvd's ripped with anydvd and HD ripped to mkv with makemkv, the subtitles are combined into the mkv file.

not sure which option to use. post # 7 or #13 or cuda..... and then post #14 because i have an ATI card

i dont really need the subtitles on all the time only when a foreign language is used.

kszabo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 6, 2007
    Germany, Bayern
    Home Country
    Hungary Hungary
    not sure which option to use. post # 7 or #13 or cuda..... and then post #14

my suggestion is to use the MPC-HT subtitle engine (https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/general-development-no-feature-request-here-48/integration-mpc-hc-subtitles-engine-54130/), not the #7 way or other ways with DirectVobSub (but it is also possible)

but honestly I do not have any experiences with DVD-Rips of AnyDVD (it copies the whole DVD-structure to the harddrive, so how do you play it then with Mediaportal?), only with external or embedded .srt subs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom