mkv/x264 1080p ffdshow stutter (1 Viewer)

activ

Portal Member
May 30, 2007
Hi guys ( and girls if there are any on the forum ),

I'm having a very weird problem.
When I play 1080P mkv/x264 files, that are demanding, and use ffdshow I get a lot of frame drops ( skips entire parts of the difficult scenes ).
Now I know what you think:"His htpc just isn't coping".
But, and here it comes, then it would not work fine when using mediacenter or mediaplayer. It works perfecly fine when I use mediacenter, the problem is only there when using ffdshow and media portal.
ffdshow is the latest tryouts and haali is also the latest.

So the real question is what does mediaportal do differently?
I always asumed that it just used the directshow filters in windows in the same way mediaplayer does but there is clearly a difference.

Can anyone help me solve this please? I love mediaportal and don't want to switch for this stupid thing.

MediaPortal Version: 0.2.3.0 RC1
MediaPortal Skin: Blue wide
Windows Version: Vista Ultimate UK
CPU Type: E6300
HDD: 400GB
Memory: 2 GB
Motherboard:Asus microatx
Video Card: Asus 8500GT silent
MPEG2 Video Codec: NVIDIA Purevideo
MPEG2 Audio Codec: NVIDIA Purevideo
HTPC Case: Antec

Thanks in advance,
activ

Eabin

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 18, 2006
    the problem here is, that you have to enable EVR in order to exploit the HW-acceleration from your card. use a svn build from > 13.8.2007, and you should be getting smooth video. if not, please report in this thread, and attach mediaportal.log and vmr9.log. you will need to select powerdvd as your h.264 decoder in the mediaportal configuration, as it is the only one (besides the windvd codec) that supports HW-acceleration on vista. but if it works in Mediacenter already, you should be good to go.

activ

Portal Member
    May 30, 2007
    Thanks for the reply.
    I tried enabling evr but that seems to break dvd navigation ( build from yesterday).

idioteque

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 29, 2005
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    also do a graphedit on a file playing in both MP and mediaplayer classic and see if the codecs MP uses are the same as Mediaplayer classic

Eabin

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 18, 2006
    dvd navigation is broken for me too, but only when using dscaler. most other codecs work fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom