Tools and other software MkvTagger: Edit tags MKV tags (incl. MP-TVSeries, TheTvDB.com, TheMovieDB, MusicVideos ...) (2 Viewers)

Jeffrey Sangillo

April 30, 2017
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
This thread is a few years old, but I recently started working with MKV Tagger and running into the same issue that ndjamena and BlueMax1916 were discussing back in 2014: I can't overwrite MKV files that already have TRACKUID references as part of the existing xml file. I can't "either edit the xml file to remove the TrackUID entries" as ndjamena suggests, not in MKV Tagger anyway. In my case, these were generally embedded when I created the files in Handbrake, and I cant' seem to find a way to "disable-track-statistics-tags" when I create the file or when I remux using Avidemux. Is there another way to delete these existing tags so that I can retag as desired?

BlueMax1916

Super User
  • Team MediaPortal
  • Super User
  • January 29, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

I am using MKV-Buddy right now. Does the download of information and media as well as the the tagging in a correct manner. It supports the MediaPortal and Kodi 'standard' of tagging video files and also creates a supporting .nfo file. If you plan on using MP2 in the future you should really use this.

MKV Buddy - Tool to help handling of Videos

Cheers

Blue Max

Jeffrey Sangillo

April 30, 2017
    Home Country
    I tried MKV Buddy but got confused with how to use the Tagging tab pretty quickly. Is there a tutorial or guide available anywhere?

heiserfeger77

Portal Pro
    November 10, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I have the same issue a few years ago. My Workaround: Open file in MKV GUI Tools und mux a new. Delete the global Parts from old one. Then you can save it in mkvtagger.

The better way is to use the new MKVBuddy von lehmden. It makes complete compatible Tags for MP and makes it batchable for whole directories.

When you open mkvbuddy make a look at Settings and make your wishes for tagging and muxing. The standardsettings ist good for the most People.

Your files should look like this:

For Movies:
    Directory with "Moviename (Releaseyear)"
    --> Moviename (Releaseyear)

For example: ..\Movies\Final Destination 5 (2011)\Final Destination 5 (2011).mkv

For Series:
    Directory with "Seriesname" (sometimes you need a Releaseyear, when a older one with the same name is existing)
    --> Season 01
    --> --> Seriesname - S{season}E{epsiodenumber} - {title of the episode}.mkv

For example:
    ..\Series\Alphas\Season 01\Alphas - S01E01 - Pilot.mkv

or with a Releaseyear, when a old one existing:

..\Series\Doctor Who (2005)\Season 01\Doctor Who (2005) - S01E01 - Rose.mkv

or sometimes

..\Series\Being Human (US)\Season 01\Being Human (US) - S01E01 - The Goes the Neighborhood (1).mkv

The right writing you can find at the searchfunction of thetvdb.org

Jeffrey Sangillo

April 30, 2017
    Home Country
    Thanks for the additional info heiserfeger77. This is starting to make some sense now. Looks like the tags come from the filename rather than being entered directly or from some additional file. I'll experiment with the program a bit more later tonight.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    The easiest way to have 100% match for movies is to use the tt number as video name. E.G. a video with name tt0111282.mkv is 100% secure identified as "Stargate (1994)" MKV-Buddy renames the finished videos automatically to your like, so this input- name is no problem at all.

Series are a bit more to do. You need a sub-folder for each series. This should/could be named as the series itself. As TVDB did not support year for matching it can be a bit tricky to get the correct series match. So it's the most easy thing to put a file (no matter what kind of, most likely a .txt or similar) and name it like TVDB-(ID for this Series).txt, example "TVDB-257655.txt" for series "Arrow". If you have a series, that is not listed (allowed) on TVDB, but exists on TMDB you also can use the following: "TMDB-1412.txt" This (1412) is the ID for "Arrow" on TMDB. Both extra files are temporary and will be deleted as soon as MKV-Buddy has match this series and generated a (Kodi & MP2 compatible) "tvshow.nfo" for this series. Those temporary files are not needed any longer once a "tvshow.nfo" exists...

Episodes can be named to whatever you like, as long as the season and episodes number is clear. Best is to use S01E01 somewhere in the name, for multiple episodes in 1 file use S01E01E02E03 .Specials need to be named like "S00E01". The rest of the name (series and/or episodes title or other things) are not used to identify the episode. Some other naming schemes are also usable, even a simple 101 can give a match. For 101 there are some more restrictions. It needs to be at least 3 digits and it has to be the very last part of the name. "Episode101.mkv" is working but "Episode101-rp.mkv" is not.

For series you need to select the parent folder of your series folders in MKV-Buddy. The sub- folders are used to determine which videos belongs together. So if you directly select the series folder containing the episodes MKV-Buddy don't know what to do... The series name in the episodes video file is not used at all...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom