[Videos] More filename possibility for MyVideos local fanart. (1 Viewer)

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    We are in the middle of planing the final naming schemes used inside the upcoming Media-Buddy 1.0. Here we want to support as much different HTPC tools as possible (MP1, MP2, Kodi, Plex, Emby,...). Aside two different names used for discart and clearlogo all tools can use the same naming schemes...

Excerpt of MediaPortal1 own MyVideos plugin. All other tools out there (including MovingPictures) are understanding "fanart.jpg" as background image and "poster.jpg" as cover image. But MyVideos must have "backdrop.jpg" and "folder.jpg". At least this was the case as I last time tested it (about 6 month ago). MyVideos is the only plugin/tool out there that don't accept fanart.jpg and poster.jpg as far as I'm aware of..

So my request is to add fanart.jpg and poster.jpg as valid name for local fanart to MyVideos. If I understand it right this only is a matter of the local data grabber script. For this it should not be too hard to achieve, I think. And did no harm to any existing MP1 tool or installation.

framug

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 31, 2005
    South of France
    Home Country
    France France
    Hello,
    Are you sure for backdrop.jpg and fanart.jpg ?
    Because, by reading code, it seems to me to be handled.
    For folder.jpg, I'm not sure and also, it impact more than grabber script because, in all MP GUI (videos, music, pictures), when there is a folder.jpg, the image is tried to be displayed in the folder thumbnail...
    B.R.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    Thanks for the answer.

For folder.jpg, I'm not sure and also, it impact more than grabber script because, in all MP GUI (videos, music, pictures), when there is a folder.jpg, the image is tried to be displayed in the folder thumbnail...
    In no way my request was meant to replace reading "folder.jpg" by "poster.jpg". folder.jpg has it's own sense and must not be replaced at all. poster.jpg should be seen as an addition to be compatible with all other HTPC tools (including but not limited to Moving Pictures, MP2, Kodi, Emby, Plex,...) out there.

Are you sure for backdrop.jpg and fanart.jpg ?
    Not anymore... :oops: I simply forgot for MP1 you need to install an external plugin for fanart to be shown... It's totally unusual as this is a basic feature of any HTPC software and you don't need to do this anywhere else... fanart.jpg is recognized after installing fanarthandler plugin, nice.

But poster.jpg still is not:
    upload_2019-8-26_16-49-20.png

You can add poster.jpg as cover image manual with the editor but it should be recognized during initialize folder scan imho. 2nd screenshot shows how it looks after using the editor:
    upload_2019-8-26_16-51-4.png

I've done the screenshots above with MP 1.20 final (as I had this version locally available) and with the four2three Skin, as I have a 4:3 display attached to my desktop PC...

A look inside a move folder that can be automatically scrapped in any HTPC tool excerpt of poster.jpg in MyVideos and clearart.png / discart.png in Emby. Emby needs logo.png and disc.png for automatic scrapping..
    upload_2019-8-26_17-4-2.png

framug

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 31, 2005
    South of France
    Home Country
    France France
    Well, I just tested with your skin.
    Are you sure that for charlie's angels, the poster filename is not already filled in your video database ?
    Because, I tested with poster.jpg and folder.jpg in a folder, I never see the picture in the skin.
    Don't be surprised the folder/poster picture is not for "poker" film, it's not that important, the most important is filename.

zz1.png zz2.png

But with a scan on videodatabase in MP config :

zz3.png

Then I'm pretty sure adding poster.jpg in MP code next to folder.jpg will not change the behaviour.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Are you sure that for charlie's angels, the poster filename is not already filled in your video database ?
    It was filled after I used the Editor. before it wasn't.

I've removed the Database file, the thumbs and the cache and started from scratch. Same result, poster.jpg is not scrapped automatically:
    upload_2019-8-26_18-51-22.png

Here is no Cover image shown.

Now I go to the Configuration and use the Editor:
    No coverart is listed.
    upload_2019-8-26_18-53-10.png

Now I press "Search cover" and I can see all locally stored graphics to choose a cover from:
    upload_2019-8-26_18-54-31.png

Going to "Cars" and there also is no coverart:
    upload_2019-8-26_18-55-16.png

Without doing anything on "Cars" let's go back to the MP GUI and see what's happend:
    upload_2019-8-26_18-56-35.png

Charlies Angels have a cover...

but Cars haven't:
    upload_2019-8-26_18-57-5.png

at least, both movies have fanart attached automatically by fanart handler.

Now I go back to configuration and add a cover for "Cars" too:
    upload_2019-8-26_18-59-50.png

And finally we have all movies with cover attached:
    upload_2019-8-26_19-0-52.png

This way it is working but this definitely is not the way how this should word. Normally you only add the video folder and scan the folder into the database. This should be all an user has to do to get all laid out...

If MyVideos don't scrap any local coverart during scanning this ought to be a bug and should be fixed. But I expect this only don't work if the coverart is named "poster.jpg". So it's a missing feature rather than a bug and that's why I've posted this here and not in the "reporting bugs" section...

framug

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 31, 2005
    South of France
    Home Country
    France France
    Can you check if your config is correct here (it seems you are german) :
    zz1.png

And also please, check some cases there and do another scan :
    zz2.png

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    (it seems you are german)
    How do you get this? :cool: :D It's a bit funny, that a Frenchman and a German are chatting in English and still do understand each other. (more or less ;) ). But hey man, that's Internet...

Can you check if your config is correct
    If I use your settings the metadata and fanart is downloaded from Internet. But this is something most "advanced user" want to avoid. For this local fanart and local metadata was "invented". Also I'm not really sure I nevertheless think those was first used in XBMC long time ago.

If local fanart (poster.jpg, fanart.jpg,..) and metadata (.nfo) is available next to the video file there is no sense in doing online lookups as the local data normally is exactly what the user wants. Online lookup only make things worse. To prepare your media library as you personally want there are several tools available like TinyMediaManager or Media-Buddy, the Tool I'm developing, just to name two of them.

It's not in the scope of this request to grab cover from online sources, it's about using locally available graphics...

framug

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 31, 2005
    South of France
    Home Country
    France France
    How do you get this? :cool: :D It's a bit funny, that a Frenchman and a German are chatting in English and still do understand each other. (more or less ;) ). But hey man, that's Internet...
    Simply by pointing my mouse on your profile, big brother is watching us :D
    It's not in the scope of this request to grab cover from online sources, it's about using locally available graphics...
    OK, I understand a bit more what you want.
    And also, I can understand more because, when I am on itinerance, consumming 4G data for this make me angry too.

The problem is on your example, you have 7 local pictures !
    How can the program understand the one you want ?
    You want a default poster.jpg ?
    OK but, you are in a case where you have one folder for each video (it's not my case and probably not for others users).
    How will you see the mecanism when all video files are in the same folder ?
    Something like poster_cars.jpg (poster_xxxfilenameavi.jpg)
    Other ?

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    The problem is on your example, you have 7 local pictures !
    They are all for different types and use cases. Other programs surely can understand which picture is for what by simply reading the file name... As Example Kodi uses the poster.jpg as cover, the fanart.jpg as background, clearlogo.png (the movie logo with transparent background) is used on various places where it is shown instead of the movie name. Looks nicer than the name written in plain text what's done if no logo is available. Clearart.png (similar as clearlogo, also transparent background and most often shows the logo too, but it has important character and or movie scenes added to the logo) is shown e.G. in OSD screen. Discart.png is used in disc cover animations (rotating disc). keyart is used as a portrait oriented preview image and landscape is the same but for places where you need landscape oriented images. Two different thumb images, if you may see it this way. And banner is used sometimes instead of poster, similar as it is in TVSeries... Not every Kodi skin supports all types of fanart but you are better prepared for everything. Most if not all types of fanart can be seen and downloaded on fanart.tv website...

TVSeries generally has no support for local fanart and metadata, one of the biggest drawbacks of MP1. Moving Pictures at the other side has a fully customize naming for local fanart. So it is compatible wich every tool out there, very good. One of the reasons why it is used more often than MyVideos, I think. The in- build MyVideos should at least use the basic fanart images (Poster and Background) with the standard file names (poster.jpg and fanart.jpg) used by all other programs, IMHO...

MediaPortal2 is using most of the images in the same way as Kodi. Only keyart is not supported in MP2. So you can use your media collection simultaneous in MP2 and Kodi without the need to change anything... Would be great if this can be done with MP1 also...

The image names are important and a HTPC program should recognize at least the most common ones...

framug

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 31, 2005
    South of France
    Home Country
    France France
    OK and after some tests it's worst than that (at least on my system with 1.23 pre-release) :
    When nothing is in the MP video database, we have no image displayed, except the folder.jpg.
    The only case is when fanart handler plugin is enabled then, we have a fanart if fanart.jpg and/or backdrop.jpg are in the movie folder.
    When MP video database is filled, we have poster (downloaded from internet) but, I can't see fanart in myvideos part no matter if fanart handler plugin is enabled or disabled.
    Then, if it's fanart handler plugin wich takes hand for displaying fanart, may be it shoud be this plugin managing poster.jpg ?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom