More than one "Custom HID Receiver"? (1 Viewer)

Bryan H

Portal Member
May 19, 2016
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Ok - I am TRYING to convert from WMC to MP2. I am trying to set up my remote. I have a Dell remote that is a Gyration rebadged by Dell. I have set up IRSS and have actually been able to map most of the keys. I say most because there are four keys (so far) that actually get sent over a different HID. So my questions is how can I (is it even possible) to set up two different "Customer HID receivers" in IRSS? When I select more than one (using the CTRL key) then nothing works. It's as if I can only use one Custom HID.

Please tell me I am missing something, that there is some way to use multiple Custom HIDs. OR do I need to try something else like EventGhost?

Thank you
Bryan

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I say most because there are four keys (so far) that actually get sent over a different HID.
    In technical terms this probably means those keys produce usages from a different usage page and/or collection.

So my questions is how can I (is it even possible) to set up two different "Customer HID receivers" in IRSS? When I select more than one (using the CTRL key) then nothing works. It's as if I can only use one Custom HID.
    In short: I think the answer to your question is no.

From the IRSS code I can see that the grid allows selecting more than one HID. However behind the scenes IRSS only has the ability to register for input from one HID (ie. one usage page + collection). If you select multiple HIDs in the grid, IRSS registers to receive input from { usage page 0, usage collection 0 }. Unless that's a catch-all for "receive from all devices" - which I'm pretty sure it's not - that would mean IRSS would receive nothing. In other words, your report that nothing works when you select more than one doesn't surprise me.

-- Caveat --
    My answer is not definitive because I haven't ever used IRSS and you haven't provided log files to enable me to check assumptions.

Please tell me I am missing something, that there is some way to use multiple Custom HIDs. OR do I need to try something else like EventGhost?
    I'm not able to help you with MP2.

However I'm 99% sure MP1's built-in HID support would be able to take care of your needs without any additional software. Right @Stéphane Lenclud ?

Bryan H

Portal Member
    May 19, 2016
    Home Country
    This is very bad news. I guess I need to try EventGhost now. This remote is a MUST have for my TV as it's the center of my Media Center and is used as a computer for some things (Netflix, Spotify, etc...so I want the "air mouse" functionality. And works out of the box, with no drivers in WMC.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    This is very bad news. I guess I need to try EventGhost now
    Like I said, my answer is not definitive. I feel like your response is jumping to a conclusion based on assumptions, but I suppose that's your prerogative.

And works out of the box, with no drivers in WMC.
    Presumably that's because it's designed to do so. Again, like I said: the same may well be true of MP1. If I'm right, the worst would be that you'd have to do a bit of configuration/mapping. Is there a reason you've fixed on using MP2?

Bryan H

Portal Member
    May 19, 2016
    Home Country
    Presumably that's because it's designed to do so. Again, like I said: the same may well be true of MP1. If I'm right, the worst would be that you'd have to do a bit of configuration/mapping. Is there a reason you've fixed on using MP2?

This is an interesting question. I went with MP2 because it's the newer version and has a couple of features that I am interested in having in my HTPC (PIP (slightly), Series recording (VERY, VERY important), multi-client (also very, very important).

I guess another alternative is that someone (perhaps even me) need to update IRSS to support multiple HIDs ( :) )

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I went with MP2 because it's the newer version...
    Okay. In case you weren't aware, MP1 and MP2 are completely different. MP2 is not a newer iteration of MP1. Each have their strengths and weaknesses.

With regard to MP1...
    PIP (slightly)
    Not supported.

Series recording (VERY, VERY important)
    Technically neither MP1 nor MP2 support true series recording. You can record all programs named X with various time based conditions:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...rd_TV/1_Scheduling_Recordings#Advanced_Record

MP1 and MP2 are identical on this functionality.

multi-client (also very, very important)
    MP1 supports multi-client in a very similar sense to WMC. In other words, TV tuners controlled by one computer ("server") can be shared by one or more clients. MP2 takes it a step further in that media information is centralised. MP1 can be extended to provide some though not all of the features as MP2.

So in short I would say that the reasons probably don't constrain you to MP2.

I guess another alternative is that someone (perhaps even me) need to update IRSS to support multiple HIDs ( :) )
    Sure, by all means. The code's here:
    https://github.com/MediaPortal/IR-Server-Suite

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    However I'm 99% sure MP1's built-in HID support would be able to take care of your needs without any additional software. Right @Stéphane Lenclud ?

To my knowledge MP1 HID support is more generic than whatever is provided in MP2 at the moment.
    Therefore it could work better with MP1 but I'm not sure which hardware @Bryan H is using.
    I looked at Gyration and all I could find is Air Mouse. Now that could be a problem on MP1 too as our HID support for mouse has not been enabled yet.
    @Bryan H if you want to find out if your device should work with MP1 you can try it out using that HID Demo.

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Note that here we're talking about IRSS vs. MP1. I don't know that MP2 has any form of built in HID support.

I never looked at the IRSS source code so I have no idea what's in there. Last I checked MP2 was using a port of MP1 now retired MCE handler. As such it does support a very specific subset of HID devices, namely some eHome devices.

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I never looked at the IRSS source code so I have no idea what's in there. Last I checked MP2 was using a port of MP1 now retired MCE handler. As such it does support a very specific subset of HID devices, namely some eHome devices.
    It would be very good if the newer input methods could be ported into a plugin for MP2. This would be a benefit for many users. Do you think you can create such a plugin for MP2? I can assist with the integration of course :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom