More than one "Custom HID Receiver"? (1 Viewer)

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    It would be very good if the newer input methods could be ported into a plugin for MP2. This would be a benefit for many users. Do you think you can create such a plugin for MP2? I can assist with the integration of course :)

I think we had a similar discussion before somewhere else on those forums.
    Given enough time I'll probably get around doing the MP2 port at some point.
    Though probably not until I'm starting to use MP2 myself.
    Also I'm still developing that HID library. Notably added keyboard support lately, I guess the next step could be mouse support.

Bryan H

Portal Member
    May 19, 2016
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    It seems the most common answer is move to MP1. To me that does not make much sense as. according to the website development for MP1 is, and I quote "Good but declining"...seems strange to me to start setting up a system that is losing development. For the moment I have gone back to WMC. Perhaps the IRSS update idea is good one, just need to figure out how to get the whole project set up in VS. As for the other question of what remote I have, it's exactly this one http://www.amazon.com/Center-CX071-MICROSOFT-Premium-Gyration/dp/B004Y6M0G8 which is a dell rebranded gyration remote (gyration does not even make said remote any more). It has at least two different HID's for all the buttons.

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    "Good but declining"
    I'm guessing this was written by an MP2 developer :) There is a bit of healthy competition between our teams. I think this should be rephrased.

MP1 is considered stable and mature, it's certainly not declining though like most open source projects contributions goes up and down.
    MP2 is considered fancy and shinny with likely more code contributions.
    Essentially they are two distinct products and one does not supplant the other like their names would suggest.
    However the long term plan is obviously that MP2 should do everything better than MP1.
    But even then depending of the hardware you have MP1 could still be better for some people.

Then again my point of view as an MP1 developer and user is biased.
    I have yet to try MP2 in a TV setup. I've been using MP1 for more than 3 years.

Now concerning the feature that we were discussing which is our remote control support.
    It so happens that for the last 2 years or so, a lone developer, namely myself, with the support of this fantastic community, took upon himself to improve remote control and other input device support in MP1. Therefore MP1 now supports a wider range of input devices than it ever has in the past and things keeps improving release after release.
    MP2 was not yet blessed with that update but as discussed above it should get upgraded sooner or later.

Looking at your remote I reckon it should work out-of-the-box on MP1, try the HID Demo mentioned above and give me logs and screenshots if you want to get a better assessment, or just try MP1.
    An MCE remote usually supports at least three range of HID codes: keyboard, WMC specific and consumer control. Yours most likely has mouse support too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom