Most reliable mobo / cpu / ram graphics for HTPC (1 Viewer)

scott_mckenzie

Portal Pro
April 3, 2012
Home Country
Australia Australia
Country flag
Hi everyone,

I'm wanting some advice on a good HTPC rig.
Basically I want a really stable setup - it doesn't have to be super powerful, but it must be stable.

Key things I want are:
- enough power for blu ray playback and to record 1 HD channel at the same time.
- minimal power consumption would be great to minimise noise.
- it can be either onboard HDMI or a HDMI card - whatever is more reliable.
- I already have a 1tb Sata drive so no additional needs here.
- onboard USB3 would be a good bonus but not essential.

Without being stupid, money should not be seen as a barrier here - any suggestions would be great.

Cheers - Scott

gijoe73

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2011
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Country flag
    I'm using an I3-3225 cpu with an Asrock H77Pro4m Motherboard and Win8.

The System works absolutely stable and nearly noiseless. Even 24p playback is no problem

scott_mckenzie

Portal Pro
    April 3, 2012
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Country flag
    Thanks for the feedback gijoe73.

I have done a bit of looking around and I think I will go for the following:
    - m/b: Gigabyte Z77M-D3H-MVP
    - CPU: Intel i5 3330
    - ram: Kingston 1600 2 * 4gb kit

My existing rig is buggered so its time I upgrade - please let me know by tomorrow morning if you think I'm making a big mistake with the above.

Cheers - Scott

Owlsroost

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Country flag
    Note that the Intel IvyBridge CPU model numbers with '5' at the end e.g. i3-3225 have the higher performance HD4000 GPU (16 EU instead of 6 EU) - this is worth having if you are going to use only the integrated GPU.

Users who are viewing this thread

Similar threads

Hi All, You're not going to believe this but I have found a solution! My 1 year old decided to relocate my Harmony remote in our toilet (yeah even I had to laugh) so I had to get a new one. I then installed it quickly as soon as it arrived with the showdown sequence to turn my TV, AVR, and HTPC all off at exactly the same time...
    Hi All, You're not going to believe this but I have found a solution! My 1 year old decided to relocate my Harmony remote in our...
    Hi, Wanting some advice on a solution to my continued issue with my IR remote. If you look at my system specs under my avatar you...
    Replies
    Views
    ... before the Kabini boards arrive, MSI are saying they'll have a Mini-ITX board available with a 10w Intel Bay Trail CPU (Celeron J1800). I'd expect this to be the real competitor to Kabini, with a weaker GPU and stronger CPU, should be more than enough GPU for offloading 1080p though. Details...
    ... before the Kabini boards arrive, MSI are saying they'll have a Mini-ITX board available with a 10w Intel Bay Trail CPU (Celeron...
    Hi, I know there are numerous threads on the site, & the web about this. I can't locate specific information relative to my...
    Replies
    Views
    They are glued to the board with double sided adhesive tape. Tape that is used to mount mirrors or similar with foam rubber between the two adhesive sides. No vibrations will make it to the board and the tape really is strong enough.
    They are glued to the board with double sided adhesive tape. Tape that is used to mount mirrors or similar with foam rubber between...
    Hi. I like to show you my HTPC project build in a drawer. As I wanted the HTPC to be as invisible as possible I build it into a...
    Replies
    Views
    I'll have a look. Thanks.
    I'll have a look. Thanks.
    I decided to finally upgrade my HTPC to allow for the impending end of WinXP updates & the use of 3D blu-rays. I had looked at...
    Replies
    Views
    (y)
    (y)
    Hi, only joined today but have spent a lot of it reading through existing posts. Big caveat: I haven't yet demo'd MP, partly...
    Replies
    Views
    Top Bottom